Chapter 17

The coaches at camps have never gone easy. It's nearly impossible to please them. 

"Kageyama! Set straighter!"

"Sugawara, use more power!"

"Akaashi, I can hear your fingers on the volleyball! Silent passing you guys!"

"Kenma! More confidence in your sets!"

Our coach in our setting specialty group, Coach Sato, yelled especially loud. The coach working over with DS and liberos was quieter. The only reason there was noise over there was because of Nishinoya. He yelled and cheered every time he made a good save. 

"Hey, Sugawara! Focus!" Coach Sato yelled chaotically. 

"Uh-right! Sorry, sir!" I apologized, focusing back in on what I was doing. 

Kageyama worked closely with Coach Sato, learning advanced sets. Why would Sato teach Kageyama all that and not us?

Cause you're not good enough. Cause Kageyama is better than you and always will be. 

I locked my jaw tight and stared at the two. I suck is what I'm seeing. I'm a shit show at this sport cause a first-year is showing my ass up. 

"He annoys me," Kenma said, working next to me. Sato was having us set against the wall. It was monotonous, especially when at the net Kageyama was working on fives and four sets. They're my favorites to do. 

"Why?" I asked. 

"Why the hell is he getting special treatment when the rest of us came here to learn specialty sets too? Just doesn't make sense. Whatever. I don't actually care," Kenma grumbled. 

"I was wondering that myself," I thought out loud.

"You totally care," Someone came up behind Kenma and me. 

We both quickly turned around, the volleyballs we were setting falling to the ground. 

"Shut up I do not," Kenma said to Kuroo, Nekoma's captain. 

"Oh you totally do," Kuroo teased. 

"Whatever," Kenma rolled his eyes. 

Sato called all the setters together to talk to us. We were joining a bunch of groups together, the reason why Nekoma's captain was over. Four setters, four hitters, and four DS. 

The coach tossed the ball to a setter, who set it out to a hitter, and then the ball would be hit towards a DS over the net to dig up. 

I set a ball to the ace from Fukurodoni, Bokuto. He was louder than Tanaka after. 

"Bokuto, shut up," Akaashi said. 

"Pfft, you know you're proud of me, Kaashi," Bokuto huffed. 

"Sure whatever," The Fukorodoni setter said. 

Breaks were also few and far at camps too. I was exhausted when we were finally done for the day. 

My leg was sore and so were my wrists but I didn't mention it. I passed by one of the three gyms where Tsukishima was playing volleyball with Kuroo from Nekoma, Bokuto, Akaashi, and Kenma. The two captains from the other schools dragged the first year into hanging with them at our last camp. He acts like he really hates it but I think he's warmed up to them; at least a little. 

I really needed to ice my leg. I promised my mom I would take care of it and my dad that I wouldn't get any more hurt. 

My ankle looked swollen when I took off my tall boot. The skin was pale and gross.