eve was what gods must be, she was fascinating, she was graceful, she had hands made for painting and pianoforte and threading through his hear as he laid in her lap listening to all the stories she had to tell, she had hands to strangle men and to open wounds and to spread death, she was entirely what he thought gods might be, a storm, charming but cruel nonetheless.

he was six, almost turning seven when his father said he was to leave home and begin training somewhere else, killua knew better than to ask questions, knew better than to say anything at all. he didn't want to leave home, and yet he understood his dad was not asking him to, he was telling him, it was an order and he was meant to obey.

and yet eve couldn't care less about those rules, they drove her away first, and how did she end up? messed up beyond any help, what good was it going to do killua at such an age.

"he wouldn't survive" she said, too stubborn to clear their path to the gate. he felt almost offended, almost. but he was merely a child of six, and he was overwhelmed with fear and panic even if he got skilled enough to still his face as much as illumi's, to tone it all down until he was a shell for all of his pent up emotions brimming inside but with a clear surface.

"you cannot make the same mistake twice, look at me, was it any good the first time you tried this method?" she had asked and silva still had to reply to her.

when no answer came, killua realised his father knew he was making the wrong choice, and yet he refused to admit it only tugging him forward but eve didn't budge yet.

"two days" she asked once more
"give me two days and then you can send him away"

he didn't know wether to feel relieved or betrayed, but killua hadn't as much as seen eve's shadow those two days and he grew more and more anxious.

on the third day she had showed up in his window, early in the morning before his father came to fetch him, she sat there legs dangling in the air as he awaited to see what she would say to him.

"i killed them all, every last one of them" eve said "i spared no soul, showed no mercy"

and he sat in his bed, fighting the urge to hide away under his blankets whenever he thought there was a monster under his bed. "why?" his voice came smaller than he intended it to be.

"for you" she said, he knew better than to ask any further questions.
maybe he was scared to, maybe he knew it would unfold soon either way, what mattered is that he learnt that morning, this is what eve's affection looked like, she killed for herself most of the time, for entertainment, for vengeance, for rage or for pleasure, but it was all for her, she didn't kill for others, you know better than to rejoice when a monster kills for you, you only learn that you're in debt now and you must count the days until eventually you were made to pay .

when his father came, she had told him she owned heaven's arena now, two days, one to travel, the other to challenge every floor master to a battle olympia and best them all, take their lives, take their money, take their pride, their tower, their titles, their crown.

"there" she said "if you must send him away to train then there, where i can see him, where he can see me"

zeno's eyes never left her frame, nor did his father's.
"why?" he asked after a while, his deep blue eyes staring back at her with an unreadable expression.