Study Partners (Cordelia)

You had been sat staring at your laptop for hours and yet you had made zero progress. Your head throbbed and your bones twitched with impatience at the thought of sitting in the same space for the rest of the day trying to catch up with your accumulating workload. You let out a huff, frustrated and completely distracted by the fact that your favourite person was sat on the other side of the building and not right at your side.

You sat for half an hour or so before you gave up and wandered out of the room, desperately seeking out your girlfriend. You knocked softly on the door, opening it upon the approval of the woman inside, and stepped into the office. Her head whipped up and her smile stretched at the sight of you, dropping into a frown when she saw your pout as you made your way towards her. "Deliaaaa" you whined, padding across the room and dumping yourself in her lap before you buried your face into the crook of her neck.

"What's wrong honey?" she cooed, bringing her arms around you and rubbing your back, slightly alarmed at the tension that shrouded your body. You stayed silent, letting out little huffs of frustration as your anxiety refused to dissipate. "I'm stressed" you complained, sitting up to look her in the eye, your eyes filling with irritated tears. "I've been sat for so long and it's not going in, I can't do any of it" you whined again, pouting slightly as tears now streamed down your face. "Oh sweetheart" she sighed, kissing your temple and squeezing your body closer to her. Delia knew you to be a workaholic as well as a perfectionist, rather a deadly combination, but it wasn't often that you would actually seek her out during the day to help you calm down; you usually preferred to decompress as the two of you readied for bed, releasing the tension you had held all day so as not to disturb her while she worked.

"What can I do, baby?" she prompted, twisting your hair around her finger in a gesture of endearment. "Just hold me" you barely managed to speak out, mumbling into her neck as you nuzzled further into her, as if you could stay there forever and just escape from it all. She held you silently, kissing your temple, caressing your hair, squeezing your waist and whispering to you how much she loved you. She waited for the tension to leave your body, until she felt you sink into her, completely relaxed, and only then did she open her mouth to speak again.

"Sweetheart, I know you're stressed but I want you to try and finish a bit more work so it doesn't build up, okay? Let's go and get your stuff, you can bring it in here while I make some tea and we'll sit down together and work" she spoke, knowing that despite your reluctance to work her constant presence would encourage you to agree. "Okay" you sniffled. Sitting up and moving off her lap, holding a hand out for her to hold as she stood up and led you out of the office and towards the kitchen.

You made it to the kitchen and she patted you on the back, "go get your stuff baby. Put it in my office" and smiled to herself as she watched you run off to the dining room to grab your things. Delia set about making a pot of chamomile tea, well aware of the way it calms you down despite your dislike of its flavour. As it brewed she pulled out strawberries and kiwis and started to chop them, looking up briefly when she heard you re-enter the kitchen and stand at her side.

You pulled out a tray as she finished chopping the fruit, and she placed the bowl onto it before kissing your forehead and turning to find two teacups to accompany the teapot. When everything was ready she made her way upstairs with the tray, you trailing behind her like a puppy. She placed the tray on her desk next to where you had put your laptop, before pulling a chair to the other side next to her own, patting the back of it prompting you to grab your things and move to sit there. You watched as she filled the cups with tea and swirled honey into one cup, just the way you liked it, before placing them in front of you. She took the bowl of fruit and placed it between you both, staring at you in a silent plea for you to take a mouthful.

When she was satisfied, she moved around to your side of the desk and stood in front of her chair, placing a kiss to your forehead and brushing the hair away from your face. "Let's just try and get some work done, honey. Have some fruit and drink your tea and I'm here, okay? You just take my hand if you need a break." She spoke gently caressing your back, then she sat in her own chair and opened her laptop, glancing briefly at you before she got started with her work.

You felt yourself getting anxious all over again, alarmed at the way Delia had so quickly jumped back into her work, typing furiously at the keys while you sat there dumbfounded. You remembered her words and reached out to her, not wanting to disturb her too much and so opting to wrap your hand around her forearm, seeking comfort in any form. She turned to you with a sad smile, not anticipating you to be stressed practically the second you sat back down. "I'm here, baby, try for 10 minutes then you can stop for today if you need to." She soothed, pausing her work to assess your current state. You nodded in response, unraveling your hand from her and finally opening your laptop, beginning to read over the essay plan you had to turn into a piece of writing.

Silence enveloped the pair of you, the clacking of keys echoing in the office as you worked side by side. Cordelia had soothed you completely in that perfect way she always could, and you found yourself finishing the first draft of your essay, though you were completely exhausted by the time you had finished.You dramatically slammed the laptop shut and turned to the supreme. "Delia, I'm so tired. Can we take a break?" you begged, whining again as the stress accumulated once again. "Honey let's go and lay down, you need to get some sleep. Don't think I haven't noticed you awake at night" she chided, raising an eyebrow with a smirk twisting her lips as she tidied her desk and stood, holding a hand out to you as you had done earlier.

You walked silently hand in hand towards your bedroom, and Delia moved straight towards the bed. Usually she preferred to change first, so panic rose in your body at the thought that she had been just as drained as you and you had selfishly had her comfort you all day. The thought was pushed from your head, though, when she turned to you with that smile you loved and held her arms out, bringing you into her grip. "Come here baby" she mumbled, bringing your head to her chest and her hand to your hair "I'm so proud of you my love."

Sarah Paulson Character One-Shotsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें