I smiled before I could stop myself, relaxing in my brother's arms. "He was really okay?" I asked, just to be sure that Jae wasn't hurt by anything she said or at least swayed by her anger towards me. I was just afraid that she would get to him the way she got to me. But I should've had more faith in my strong willed boyfriend. Though that didn't change the fact that I was still pissed off with the two of them for taking off like that without me. I was an adult, not a child and I knew they were trying to protect me, but I didn't want to feel out of control like this again.

"He was," Evan hummed. "Give him more credit, Ezra. Trust him. He's a fucking badass, I'll tell you that. Wasn't fazed by her usual bitching and stood up for you like a warrior defending his king. You worry before there's even anything to worry about. Anyway, got all of your things out and in storage. Left the furniture, she can deal with that since she was the one who bought most of it. Plus, I thought you could just buy new, you know, fresh start. Ollie's transitioning so he needs new stuff anyway - I left the crib."

I nodded, not having any complaints. He was right about Ollie. The next apartment I bought needed a kid's bed for him and he'd outgrow his high chair soon enough too. A fresh start sounded good. It also meant I could make things the way he wanted now that he was old enough to have opinions. I hadn't had much luck just yet on the apartment hunting front, nothing I'd seen had looked right and I didn't want to buy for the sake of buying.

Sighing, I laced my fingers through my brother's, holding his large hand as I forced myself to tell him what was on my mind. "I know you and Jae are trying to make a point but... I don't want to sell the house. Just let her have it, please? She's pregnant and taking the house feels cruel. I don't want this to be about who can hurt the other the most by doing the shittiest things. I just... I know I'm being a pushover but I don't think that it's... necessary. I have enough money to just sign the mortgage over to her and find my own place. If not for Renee, then for the baby. Don't sell it."

Evan sighed, squeezing my hand as he remained silent for a few moments. I began to get a little bit nervous, knowing that Evan had always gotten frustrated with me and my complacency when it came to Renee. He was a lot more cut throat then I'd ever be and the difference often caused friction, especially when it came to making decisions.

"I won't lie, I'm disappointed, but not surprised. Ezra, you need to stop thinking about her as some defenceless little princess. She capitalises off your kindness like a fucking leech because she knows you can't say no, even when you're pissed off. You bought the house, you bought both your cars, gave her money so she could remain unemployed and float around like a fucking pansy with her friends. Her parents own a successful business, she has money in the bank, connections of her own. You can't keep nursing her or she'll continue to take advantage of you."

Evan grunted and I could hear the irritation in his voice. I looked down at the bedsheets, a little bit ashamed. "If you sell the house tomorrow, she'll be absolutely fine. She can stay with her parents or with her friends or dip into daddy's trust fund money and go get herself a fancy new condo. She doesn't need you Ezra, she just likes the control. Say you let her have the house, then she starts asking for more and more and more, just like she always does. Next thing you know, she's roped you back in and you're looking after Ollie and her new kid like a fucking lap dog. We're selling the house."

The sharp air of finality to his voice made me flinch just a little bit. I understood what he was saying, completely understood the mindset, but it just felt sneaky and made me want to scratch at my skin. I just wasn't comfortable with making power moves like an asshole, not when there was an innocent baby involved in the consequences. I tried to sit up, but Evan held me down. "I'm sorry, darlin' but I'm not budging on this one. New start, baby bro. That means letting go completely," he told me firmly, pressing a kiss to my temple to dull the blow of his words.