Not your typical lunch conversations

Start from the beginning

Annalise brought our coffees over and he smiled, thanking her before looking back at me with a hard look.

I swallowed. "W-well, he just seemed...timid talking about you I guess. He says...he says your relationship is...complicated."

I bit my lip, wondering if this was a good idea after all. Maybe I shouldn't have brought it up.

Jason took a sip of his coffee, carefully placing it back down on the table before looking at me. "In a way it is. Antonio is like a brother to me Damian, it really isn't something you should worry about." He sent me a kind smile then sipped his coffee again.

I swallowed and rubbed my hands against my legs, feeling them get clamey. My eyes darted around before falling on Jason's again. He was eyeing me curiously.

"Damian, what is this really about kiddo?" He leaned forward, resting his elbows against the table.

I sighed out slowly, looking down to avoid his gaze. I just needed to say it.

He wouldn't be upset with me. Right?

I sighed, looking at my hands.

Do it now Damian. Just do it.

"Antonio and I are...together." It was silent and for a moment and I thought I imagined myself saying it.

"Oh, well why does that concern me or my relationship with him?" I looked up, looking at Jason in suprise. He didn't sound even a little upset. Maybe I was worried about nothing after all.

"He said...he said you might be upset since, well since I was like a brother to you." He let out a soft chcukle, shaking his head. "Damian, if you're happy, then who am I to step in."

I raised both eyebrows in realization. "Oh." He just smiled. "Antonio is a great guy. I might have been worried if it was someone else, but Antonio loves deeply. He cares for anyone that's made thier way into his heart. I know he'll treat you good Damian. I'm happy for you both."

My shoulder relaxed and I breathed out in relief. My lips turned up into a grin. "You have no idea how much that means to me." He smiled widly, nodding before his eyes moved to the side and his smile fell.

I frowned, looking behind me to try and find what he was looking at. "Jason?" He shushed me softly. "Stay still Dami, face me. Act normal and drink your coffee."

I did as I was told, bringing the coffee to my lips to drink it, watching Jason go tense, looking alert. I watched him move his hand to the gun just inside his jacket and my eyes widened. "Jason?"

He looked at me for a moment, giving me a stern look. "When I say to, get down beside the table and stay down no matter what you hear." My eyes widened and I felt my heart skip a beat. "W-what?"

My hands gripped the arms of the chair nervously, watching as Jason started to pull his gun out slowly. "Just do as I say Damian."

I swallowed nervously as sweat pooled at my forhead. Time seemed to stand still as I watched Jason. My heart was pounding quickly and I could hear it in my ears.

What the hell is happening?

This was nerve wracking. I had no idea when I'd need to move, or what would happen after that. I just had to trust that Jason knew what he was doing.

When he shouted "Now, Damian!" I pushed myself out of the chair, ducking to the floor under the table. I pulled my knees up to my chest and brought my hands up over my head, tucking myself into somewhat of a ball.

I heard gun shots before Jason's body was covering mine, protecting me. "Stay still." I scoffed slightly. I didn't plan on moving and whimpered out. Jason's arm wrapped around me, holding me close.

More gun shots. What the HELL was happening? My arms reached out, grabbing onto Jason as I tucked my head into his jacket, squeezing my eyes shut.

My ears were ringing now and I was shaking like a leaf. I'd never been this close to gun fire before and had no idea why it was happening in a Cafe. All I knew, is that I wanted out of here.

Jason kept holding me and turned us around so his back was facing the table. Probably to act as a shield for me.

Finally, the shooting stopped and I heard sirens. When I opened my eyes to look around, I noticed chairs and tables were pushed over and one of the big front windows was broken.

Two men were on the ground on the other side of the room. They must have been the men Jason was worried about.

I was about to speak when Jason groaned and moved back, falling onto his back. He was clutching his side, his hand covered in blood. Lots of blood. I gasped. "Jason!"

I don't know how my brian reacted so fast, but before I even realized what I was doing, I had grabbed one of the decorative napkins off the table and was appealing pressure to Jason's side.

"Oh god, oh god." I was sobbing, shaking as I leaned over him. Jason brought a hand up to my face. "Hey, Dami, Shh. It's okay. It's okay. Just breathe."

He grimaced and I choked back another sob, nodding as I tried to take a deep breath. "You're hurt. Oh god, you're shot."

"Damian, breath kiddo." He grabbed his phone, handing it to me as paramedics rushed over to us, pushing me out of the way. "Call Roy. I'll be okay Dami." Through his pain he gave me a reassuring smile.

I was crying loudly, bringing my hand up to cover my mouth, clutching Jason's phone tightly in my other hand as I dialed Roys number.

It wasn't long before the paramedics had Jason on a gurney and started to get him into the ambulance. I pushed passed reporters and people outside the Cafe to follow them, getting in with him just as Roy pulled up.

I looked over, seeing Antonio get out too and I yelled out his name. His eyes widened and he started to run, pushing through the crowd to get to me, looking frantic, but determined. "Damian!"

Once he was in the ambulance, he pulled me into a tight hug, cradling my head and holding me close. "Oh god, are you okay? Are you hurt?" I shook my head. "I-im okay." My voice was shaky as I trembled.

He just held me as they closed the doors. He kept telling me everything would be okay. That I was safe now and Jason would be just fine.

Roy stayed behind to deal with the media and I only hoped my father didn't see all this on the news before I had a chance to call him myself.

I closed my eyes, not wanting to watch as the paramedics stripped Jason's jacket and shirt off and work on patching his wound temporarily.

We were both covered in blood and I gagged, hiding my face in Antonio's shoulder.

He rubbed my back. "It's okay. You don't have to watch. I've got you Dami." I nodded, keeping my eyes closed as we headed to the hospital.