Memories and Distractions

Hello everyone, just saying that I will be posting another chapter very soon! I was just reading other fanfics!
As I rode the canals, I  suddenly
remembered something.
"Um, hey Tobes?" I asked, trying to make my  voice sound casual.
"Yeah Jimbo?"
"Let's take the canals today." Toby looked at me as if I had just jumped out of the sewer, but just said,
"Oookkk?"

As we neared the canals, I saw the faint glow of blue greet my eyes. Eagerly,  I biked down the canal, and the blue light illuminated my face as i bent down to take the amulet.
"Hey there," I murmured happily, putting it in my pocket. Suddenly,  Toby came rushing down on his bike, and then screeched to a halt and stared at me.
"What did you come down here for, Jimbo?" I took the amulet out of my pocket, showing it to him.
"I found this creepy amulet," I said, trying to keep my voice confused, "and it was calling my name and stuff."
"Woaaaaaahhhhhhh," Toby gasped, "that is so cool!"
"More creepy than cool, but sure," I shrugged, "Anyway, we have to get to school."

Toby was obviously having trouble climbing the rope.
"Come on, Dumzalski! I want your legs to be made of iron! IRON!"
"Come on, Tobes!" I shouted, trying to be encouraging. Then I heard someone snicker (or was it a giggle) and turned around, and immediately my heart ached again.
Claire. She looked so happy, unlike a few hours ago. Or is it 1 year later. This time travel thing is confusing. Oh wait, the play! I can ask her about the play!
Steeling myself, I walked up to her.
"Um hi?" Great start, Jim. Always gets the ladies. For goddamn, she was your flipping girlfriend! You can talk to her!
"Um... I heard that Miss Janeth needed a Romeo for the school play. Can I get a flyer to try out?" Claire positively beamed at me, handing me a flyer.
"Have at it, Romeo." She smirked, then walked away with her friends as the bell sounded. I then heard my name get called and turned around (again).
"Jimbo, look! I did it!" And for once, Coach Lawrence was impressed.
"Not bad, Dumzalski!" He nodded approvingly. I grinned at Toby.
"Nice work, Tobes." I looked at my timetable and when I saw my next lesson, my heart slammed into my chest.
History Class with Mr Strickler
Strickler... it will be good to see him. I smiled, and headed off to my next class.