“Yes, we all know you’d make friends with the Tattooed Man from Barnum and Bailey.” Alexios tried like hell to cut Orrin’s long-winded explanation off. His brother shrugged with a nod, seeing the truth in the statement. Then he sat forward, all humor wiped from his face.

“I’m not stupid, Alex. I figure you’re here because of Dad’s ultimatum last week. Which you still haven’t told me about, by the way. Our lounge looks like a ghost town most nights. It stands to reason Dad’s not happy with that. And, although he wouldn’t be caught slumming down here, he’d really like the way this place is packing them in.

“I figure you’re seeing what makes this place popular. Doing your research, like a good little college grad. But I like this kind of research. Hell, I’ll even do your homework,” he concluded, glancing pointedly at their neighbors, who were downing their drinks as if Prohibition loomed.

Rolling his eyes, Alexios settled back in his chair. Once more looked at the bar. He couldn’t see past the throng surrounding it, but knew from earlier visits that it was manned by several bartenders, only one of whom he was interested.

His attention snapped back to Orrin as his brother leaned his elbows on the table and said, “What did Dad say the other day that had you slamming out of his office? It had to be something spectacular, because that’s usually my kind of exit.” Orrin grinned, and Alexios reluctantly returned one.

His brother was right. Of the two of them, Orrin usually left a meeting with the old man all fired up a lot more than he, Alexios, did. Orrin didn’t understand their parents’ old fashioned ways, and butt heads with them because of it. He embraced everything American, while their parents clung to their homeland’s ways. Greek ways. Oh, they’d become American citizens, and immersed themselves in American business, even sent their sons to American schools, but “home” remained their country of birth.

Alexios got that. Could see the importance of maintaining his culture, his birthright, even while he made his mark in America. He considered himself a Greek American, while Orrin comfortably dropped the Greek from his description.

But in this particular instance, their father was acting totally archaic, a throwback to their autocratic ancestors. Remove him from the helm of The Midas Touch casino and lounge? And make him work for his younger, more dissolute brother? Was he serious? Unfortunately, Alexios knew he was.

Tugging now on the collar of his fitted, Tom Ford shirt and loosening the knot of the matching tie, Alexios met his brother’s expectant look with a surly one of his own. And came clean.

“He told me he was disappointed in my performance as CEO of the entertainment side of The Midas Touch. He said revenues are down from last year’s numbers, and continue to decline month to month. That more people get free drinks at the slots than actually step foot in the lounge.” He took a deep breath at this juncture. Looked around at the crowd.

The song “Cocaine,” by Eric Clapton, pounded out of the speakers now, and the people around the bar shouted in unison with fists in the air whenever they heard the word “cocaine.” It was a raucous gathering, and Alexios couldn’t help but feel the energetic vibe. It made him want to get up and join the throng, and he didn’t even like Oldies.

For once Orrin waited patiently for the end of his sentence. Alexios shifted restlessly in his chair and finished with, “He said that if I didn’t improve the lounge’s liquor sales and overall attendance, he would demote me and put you in charge.”

Now he met Orrin’s look, which was positively glittering with possible comebacks. Alexios readied for the expected quips by squaring his shoulders, but was momentarily saved by the waitress’s reappearance with their orders.