Pt.13

R U E

EVERYONE IS NOW awake and moving. The weather outside is cold and snowy. I have a massive headache that even Tylenol can't fix.

"We have to figure out what happened to our parents."

Beatrice and Tommy were still missing, but at this point, we couldn't worry about them. The Russians most likely took them, and we can't afford to do anything about it.

A few people start talking at the same time, arguing, agreeing, but nonetheless, the room is not at all quiet. I can't hear myself think.

"Ok, everyone just- just SHUT THE FUCK UP FOR A MOMENT- Jesus fuck- just be quiet." He rubs his temples in a circular motion.

A girl with dyed blue hair, hesitantly raises her hand. Nadine looks up at her tilts his head to the side, "What?" He asks is a harsh tone.

"Well uh- I just... has anyone tried to check the security cameras yet?" The girl asks, biting on her nails to what I'm assuming is because she's nervous.

"Well-" Nadine starts but doesn't finish. I'm guessing he didn't. That would have been smart though, "I guess we didn't." He looks at me and smirks, "Come on, Rue, let's go check."

I'm tired of him.

He grabs onto my wrist and pulls me to the top of the stairs. He stops and looks down at everyone, "Don't think today will be easy. We will find out what happened." He yells. It's silent before some genius decides to start clapping, causing an erupt of cheers to go around.

What the fuck.

Nadine looks down at me and smiles, "Great isn't it."
I roll my eyes and open the door. The blood that was crimson red yesterday, is now an ugly shade of brown. The smell of rot makes my headache ten times worse.

"Ok so the Russians knew that we were having a meeting, because they knew when to attack, right" Nadine looks at me waiting for an answer.

I shake my head, trying to act like I know what's happening, "How did they know?" I ask.

"That's what we need to figure out, and why they took the council." He says.

He lets go if my wrist. I immediately bring it to my chest, rubbing it with my other hand, "Maybe they want something."

"Well no shit they want something, they want our goddamn heads." His accent is coming in. I've noticed how prominent it is when he's mad. You know, like yelling or cussing at me. Those sort of things.

I roll my eyes. "Let's just check the footage from last night." We need to focus on the important things and to stop fighting.

Me and Nadine go upstairs and into security. Before I could sit down in the chair, Nadine pulls it away and takes a seat. I look down at him and scoff.

"What? Oh. You wanted to sit." He says in a sarcastic voice. "My lap is always available." He looks up at me, and softly taps my thigh. I roll my eyes and go behind the chair. I perch my elbows on the head of the chair, and watch as Nadine puts in a code and starts scrolling through different files.

The footage started off with just casual things like, people eating, or just walking around, "Hey, speed the footage up until it gets to the party." I say. He looks up at me as if I've just shot him.

"I was about to do that if you gave me a second." He scoffs.

In the footage, there are people dancing, singing, blah blah blah. But then we noticed that the cameras outside picked up the guards. They started off by talking to each other, until a few unknown men walk up. One of our guards, step aside, allowing the unknown men to go inside. But the other guard puts a hand out, pressing against the men's chest.

Me and Nadine stare intently at the screen, examining and taking everything in.

Guard one pushes guard two aside and starts yelling at him to "just listen". Guard two doesn't, he just pushes him back, asking a series of questions like,

"what the hell are you doing?"

"Why are you letting them in?"

Eventually the unknown men get tired of waiting for them to brawl it out, so one of the unknown men pull a gun out. He points it at guard two's head, he whispers something in a language I can't tell, before pulling the trigger.

I cover my eyes at the sight. Blood splattered on the wall, some on the camera, causing red spots to cover it—the camera.

"Oh my god" I whisper. "We have to go tell everyone."

"No, just think about this for a moment. This could put everyone in a panic, we can't let that happen." He stands up so that he's towering over me. "Do you understand? You cannot tell them."

"Then what do we tell them." I say through gritted teeth.

He smiles, "Leave that to me, Tesoro." He tucks a piece of hair, behind my ear, "you trust me, right?" He asks, although I'm not sure he's serious or not.

"Never," I say with a slight smile. He smiles back, an amused look on his face. He's not mad, he's enjoying this little, whatever, we have going on. Between him teasing, and me keeping my guard up- well, maybe not, but I'm doing something. And I'm not gonna lie, I'm slightly enjoying it too.

———

𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐀 : 𝐛𝐥𝐲𝐧𝐧

𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐀 : 𝐛𝐥𝐲𝐧𝐧.𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐝𝐭