CHAPTER 3: SICKNESS IN THE FOREST

Start from the beginning

They moved slower, more carefully through the undergrowth. Up ahead, he could see an opening in the trees, perhaps a clearing. An area less oppressive than what they traveled through now. He almost breathed a sigh of relief. Almost.

The pressure in his sternum doubled. Alarm coursed through him. He cursed his nerves. Cursed his magic. The forest wouldn't have bothered him half as much if Claire wasn't his responsibility to protect. Talon would never forgive him if she came to harm. Talon's anger aside, she was his queen. He knew his duty. And it was his honor to serve.

"I think there's a break in the trees up ahead." Jeanine's voice carried back to him.

"Have you ever been this far in?" Claire asked.

"Not...quite. Or at least, not to this clearing."

His hand shot to his ribcage, rubbing the tender place in the middle. The hairs on the back of his arms stood on end. "Claire, I think we should—"

"Oh!" Claire parted the foliage stopped short. "Look! It's just..."

The silent world froze. He threw a panicked look over his shoulder at their pairs and rushed up behind her, looking into the clearing. "I think we should leave," he whispered. "Back away, quietly."

"But it's...it's just a stag. Look."

And it was. The stag had its back to them, head down, antlers low as it grazed. But there was something very, very wrong. As if sensing them, the stag's ears pricked and it picked up its head, swiveling around. Teaming about its antlers, darkness swirled like shadows, where light ought to exist. But it wasn't the stag's antlers that captured his attention. Its dark eyes were surrounded by black veins like poison, and the side of its face was...rotting. He shuddered.

"Oh my gods!" Claire's panicked whisper broke the silence.

"What in the name...?" Jeanine backed away a step.

The stag's depthless eyes darted between them, assessing. Enemy! It said. Threat! It pawed the ground. The pressure in his chest turned painful.

"Claire..." he whispered another warning. He didn't give her time to react. Instead, he grabbed a fistful of fabric on her gown and dragged her back.

The stag lowered its head and charged. Claire yelped, her shock finally shattering. He didn't give her the chance to react. He simply acted on instinct, wrapping his arms around her, hauling her out of it's path. Just in time. Its antlers caught in the underbrush taking out a swath of low-hanging branches. It charged on, thundering away.

Enemy! Destroy! The thoughts were distinct. Panicked.

"Is it...is it gone?" Claire breathed heavily against his chest.

"I...don't think so." He released her, drawing his Sverak. The other two Drengr did the same. Darcie and Edith drew their bows. Jeanine, her kingdom sword. Claire had her Sprite dagger in hand. The seven of them backed into the clearing.

Their breathing filled the silence. Everything fell quiet. Listening. There! A thundering crash. They turned, trying to pinpoint the location of the sound.

"Jump from it's path, if it comes again," he advised, herding everyone into the center of the clearing, to give them the best vantage point. "I'll take care of it."

Another crash. Enemy! It was the only warning before the beast burst from the foliage at their right. Everyone spun towards it and jumped from its charging antlers.

He alone stood in its path and lifted his sword to deal the killing blow. The stag's head was low, ready to slam into him. In a split second, he hefted his Sverak and sprung away.