Chapter 58: Christmas (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

These jokes were her self-protection, her guard. The fact that she dared to be vulnerable for one moment and genuinely apologized, was more than Katya could ask of her. This was, after all, still very new for the blonde.

Katya laughed at her relief. "Well, then you did a great job just now."

"Read an article online." She shrugged, dead serious.

"Wow." An even louder laugh escaped Katya's throat. "Straight from the heart, I see." But it was the effort that counted, and she really appreciated how Yelena took responsibility.

This bond of theirs, they needed to fix that, and fast. Because nobody liked this tension, and Yelena should be able to visit whenever she wanted.

She grinned. "What heart?"

"Aunt Yelena!" 

Maya sprinted into the hall, her boots clicking on the ground rapidly. Apparently, she heard a familiar voice.

Yelena gasped and - respectfully - pushed Katya aside to catch the girl in a hug. "My favorite niece!" Maya flung herself into her arms, politely wishing her a merry Christmas. 

"That heart," Katya whispered to herself, completely melting at the sight in front of her. Her relationship with Yelena also needed to be fixed because of this. Because no matter what, this right here, had to stay. Maya deserved Yelena in her life.

"You look very pretty. Did you buy that new?" Maya asked after they let go and she was able to see Yelena's outfit.

A grey baggy blazer, with a black tank top and some jeans, her blonde hair braided into a very intricate pattern on her head. No coat, so she must belong to the Russian club of people who never got cold.

Her eyes lit up as she stood, excited someone asked about it. "Yes, and you know why?" She smirked, hinting on something as she slid her hands into the blazer.

"Pockets!" They yelled at the same time, laughing loudly afterwards. Inside jokes, clearly.

"Yes, very good, very good. Go get your coat, let's go." 

Maya snatched her coat off the rack, swung it over her shoulders, and followed Yelena to the jet. Hopefully, they would be able to ease each other's nerves. Because Yelena might act all tough and unbothered, but she was insecure too. Undoubtedly also nervous.

Katya watched them tread through the snow with a happy smile. She shivered in only her thin dress, even with the cardigan she temporarily threw on. Footsteps approached from behind, but there was no need to turn around. A pair of lips kissed her temple, and an arm snaked around her to rub hers for warmth. 

"Are you ready?" Natasha asked softly. And Katya nodded, taking the cardigan off. But instantly, that exposed and naked feeling she got when putting the dress on, returned.

Natasha didn't miss how she wrapped her arms around herself, making herself smaller while reaching for her coat. Her wife felt uncomfortable, and she'd be damned if she let that happen without taking action. 

"You look beautiful, darling," she ensured, but Katya barely looked her way while putting her long coat on.

"So you said." 

Natasha's brows furrowed at the tone. "It feels like you're not convinced."

Katya sighed and lifted her underarms. "I'm having a hard time ignoring these today." Immediately, she turned her back. Natasha did not need an explanation. There was only one thing on Katya's underarms that could make her feel uncomfortable.

Having all that skin on her arms, shoulders, neck, and collarbones exposed was too much at once. She wanted to cover up, to make herself small and hide, and that's not a feeling she should have to deal with while already having a hard time.