7. Emotion II - Edwina and Eddy

Brett and Eddy had both held their breath while listening to Edwina's story.

Brett broke the silence first.

"So.. then what happened?"

Edwina whispered.

"I.. honestly don't know how long I sat in that chair... Those two chairs I took were the only pair, the only thing that matched in that flat I moved out from. Everything else was broken and there was only one of everything. Dinner plates, mugs, glasses.. we had so many different types of unmatched things. And when I realised I was unmatched, too.... I just sat in that chair and cried for so long. I really don't remember anything after that."

Eddy struggled to get his words out.

"...Edwina, I'm.. I'm so sorry to hear what you had to go through. That must have been very difficult.."

"It was very painful, lah"

"So.. Edwina, how long ago was this?"

"I.. I don't know Brett.. since I've been here I lost track of time. It could be 3 years? 30 years?"

"No, Edwina.. it's only been 3 weeks...!!"

Brett looked at Eddy in shock.

"What? But Eddy, her finger was ...decomposing..!!"

"Yeah.. well she had her accident in summer so..."

"Wait, what? Accident?"

Eddy bit his lower lip.

"Well.. I just called it an accident.. but I get the feeling you caused it yourself...Edwina?"

Edwina bit her lower lip, too.

"Hey.. careful"

It was Eddy.

"Edwina, relax. Don't bite down so hard, you might hurt your body again..."

Edwina looked up. Tears started to well up in her eyes.

"I don't feel physical pain anymore and you worried I'm gonna hurt my body?"

"Well.. I didn't know how else I could put it.. but you don't want to damage your body.. since we now know it's very frail. Remember what happened to your finger.."

"So.. how did you know I had my ...accident 3 weeks ago, lah?"

"I searched in the news.. there's an article of a young woman found in her flat..."

Edwina sighed.

"Oh..."

"She is still in a coma."

Brett looked up.

"...What..??"

"Says right here. Yesterday's news.. 3 weeks after the incident she is still in coma."

Eddy turned to Edwina,

"Edwina.. do you know what this means? Your real body has been taken care of in a hospital. You still have a body you could go back to."

Edwina looked up.

"Me.. go back..??"

Brett looked up.

"Eddy, did you just say she could go back..??"

Eddy gazed at Brett.

"We could always try."

"Eddy !! Are you f*cking nuts!?!?"

"Ssssssh!! You don't want her to hear us!!"

"Oh you said you barricaded her out of our bedroom, remember? She can't get in here, nor can she hear us."

"..Where did she go anyway? Do you think we should keep an eye on her? She seemed quite depressed after telling us that story."

"What Eddy, in case she kills herself? I don't think she can since she'd done it once already. She went back into the cupboard in the corridor. She said that's her room. She said she wanted to rest a bit."

Brett furrowed his brows.

"Eddy.. this is such a weird conversation even for us wizards..."

"Indeed. And we still have a lot of human activity to complete today, we should get back to unpacking. Speaking of which I was told by the real estate agent to make the bed first when we move in, otherwise, we wouldn't have enough energy left to make the bed when we actually wanted to go to bed."

Eddy picked up the set of linen he had unpacked from a box.

"Allow me, Eddy."

Brett took the bed linen from Eddy's hands and toss them onto the bed. He made an elaborate movement of his hands and the bed linen spread itself out and fitted itself onto the bare mattress. Within seconds, the bed was made.

Eddy pouted.

"..I was about to do that, Brett."

"The way you were talking I thought you were gonna make the bed with your own hands."

"..Well actually I was. I thought it would've been a nice thing to do together. Y'know, make our first bed, the two of us.."

Brett gave a confused look.

"I don't understand."

Eddy sighed.

"Um.. that's okay. Um.. hey I think I wouldn't mind a coffee. You want one?"

Eddy walked towards the bedroom door and was about to open it when Brett grabbed his hand.

"Eddy wait."

"...what?"

"What have I done wrong? Please tell me."

"Nothing."

"C'mon Eddy, this is not nothing."

Brett touched the corner of Eddy's eyes and felt his tears.

"Don't worry, I'm just being a sentimental human again."

"Your words, not mine, Eddy."

"I know. I..know.. I sometimes wish I wasn't like this."

Then Brett remembered.

"F*ck. I forgot... No spells in our bedroom, right?"

Eddy glanced at Brett as he bit his lower lip.

Brett held the sides of his head with his palms.

"Oh Eddy, I f*cked up. I'm so sorry....!!"