Chapter 27

SAVAL:

Her body feels heavy in his arms as he steps through the end of the portal into the flourishing garden. Lord Va'as stands opposite him with a somber expression, his eyes drifting down to Kylee and then back up to Saval's face.

"I see that Mandala had something else planned all along." The Aspect Lord sighs in annoyance and crosses his thin arms. "He has been dealt with accordingly." Saval knows that whatever punishment Lord Va'as had inflicted on Mandala would have been harsh enough that not even his soul would recover for centuries to come.

"Her life cannot end... Not like this." Saval's voice remains calm even though Duke's energy flickers with grief inside him. Lord Va'as shakes his head and motions for Saval to follow him back to the alter where Duke and Segas's bodies still rest, kneeling down and bowing at each other. Small black and white orbs float around them silently like drifting stars and shadows, giving the scenery an eerie yet ethereal feel.

"You need to return before too much energy is drained. You already pushed it by fusing before the proper two months passed." The Aspect Lord says, looking between Saval and the alter. The Soul Fusion Arte requires an insane amount of power and, if used too often, can easily result in the two souls being lost and obliterated from existence.

He softly sets Kylee's cold and unmoving body in the tall grass before moving to stand before the two sources. Closing his eyes and tilting his head back, Saval reaches out and puts his hands on one of both Duke's and Segas's shoulders. His body begins to glow softly, a deep grey colour that splits into blinding shades of black and white after a few moments. The energies drift back into their bodies, with slight darkness tinging the light and vice versa. That is the other danger of this technique, the 'bleeding effect' as Duke calls it. Their emotions slowly become more linked with each fusion, eventually resulting in corruption of the soul of used too frequently. The dangers and risks associated with this technique are the reason it became forbidden thousands of years ago, and as of now, Duke Pantarei is the only living family member who has knowledge of its existence.

DUKE:

I look down at her body, trembling slightly as grief wells up inside my chest.

"Kylee..." I whisper, kneeling down next to her. "You will get through this..." My hands move under her shoulders and behind her knees so that I can lift her up without fear of dropping her.

"Lord Va'as," I call his name, turning to look at him. He stays silent for a moment, his deep purple eyes still reflecting the same wisdom and quick wittiness that makes him so powerful. "Where is Lord Gamiel?"

"He is most likely at the other end of the garden by the sacred texts, but I cannot guarantee he will offer his assistance." Lord Gamiel is the aspect Lord that controls one's existence in the universe. There are four aspect lords in total. Lord Dar'ax'is is the Aspect Lord of time, Lord Urde-Tyrine is of Space, Lord Va'as of order, and finally, Lord Gamiel is of creation and destruction.

"Thank you, Lord Va'as." I nod at him and begin walking through the garden. Segas stands by one of the cracked stone pillars of the alter, a subtle grin sliding across his face.

"Why, I have never seen you so upset, Dukey-boy." His tone lacks the sympathy that his words attempt to produce, making that expression of his even more mocking.

"Segas..." I say his name and sigh. He raises an eyebrow and shrugs in response, his grin fading.

"I would not waste my time trying to to preserve a weak human soul." He says calmly, adjusting his gloves.

"I understand that power is the only thing important to you, but there is more to this universe than just brute strength." He scoffs under his breath and frowns.