Chapter 13

He grins widely as I take his hand and laughs, darkness underlying his voice.

"Interesting indeed." He must be surprised that I took his offer. I mean, who in their right mind would? I honestly can't even say that I am in my right mind at the moment. He pulls me up and I stumble for a second before I regain my balance, giving him a curious look.

"T-thank you..." I mumble quietly and he sighs softly in response.

"I do not want your thanks. I am doing none of this for you." He states, the grin slowly fading from his face. At his words, it finally clicks. He is using me for something or at least agreeing to train me until he can use me, but why? I'm nothing more than a human with a connection to the earth. What possible use could he have for me? I snap out of my thoughts and cringe when I find his burning red eyes locked on me.

"I really wouldn't ponder that much if I were you. I am not such an easy man to figure out." He chuckles and turns to walk away.

"Wait!" I call, not moving from my spot. He pauses and turns to look at me over his left shoulder, the wide grin returning.

"Yes?" He asks in amusement, but knowing him, it can, and will, quickly turn into annoyance.

"About the training thing..."

"Ah, yes." He taps his chin lightly with his gloved hand, thinking to himself. "Meet me on the academy's roof after your herbalism class on Thursday and do not be late. I detest tardiness." He begins to walk again, his body slowly starting to dissolve into the air.

"Wait, how did you know..." I stop when he completely disappears, leaving only a sadistic chuckle hanging in the air around me. "What my last class is..." My voice falls to a mutter and I sigh as the last traces of his malevolent aura disappear. He did it, he managed to get in my head and break me without so much as lifting a finger. Just what kind of person is he? All I know for sure is his name and that he is not even close to human. I begin to make my way back to the academy, confusion and sorrow weighing heavily on my heart.

"Kylee!" I hear a muffled voice call and faintly see a figure running towards me, the girl's flaming red hair bobbing around her shoulders.

"Grace? What are you doing here?" I demand, trying to keep my voice stable even though a small bit of sadness leaks through, worry along with it. What if she saw me with Segas? What if she heard what he said? What would she do..?

"You just disappeared!" She cries breathlessly, stopping to double over once she reaches me. "I went to your dorm, but it was empty and some people from your herbalism class said that you ran off in a rush. I was worried sick!" I place a calming hand on her shoulder and she glances up at me with a look of relief on her freckled face.

"I'm sorry, I just needed to get out-"

"You've been crying..." She interrupts, crossing her arms as her eyes bore into mine.

"W-what? No I haven't." I lie and give her a bright smile.

"Liar." She calls me out and scoffs. "I can tell because your eyes are red and puffed. Tell me what happened." I am just about to walk away and ignore her when I see her jut out her lower lip in a pouting notion.

"Fine..." I sigh and sit down on the cool grass as I explain what happened, leaving out any and all aspects of Segas. She sits in front of me, crossing her legs and nodding as she listens. The usual smile slowly slips from her face and her hazel eyes widen as I get to the bit of my family and Andalo. I am in tears at this point and she reaches out awkwardly to comfort me, her normal carefree demeanour gone.

"I'm so sorry..." She whispers and bites her lower lip as if deciding what to do, before pulling me into a tight hug. I don't resist her and, instead, bury my head in her shoulder. Segas begins to drift back into my mind and it takes all I have not to tell her.