As she hurried off through a curtained doorway at the back of the shop, Coulta heard someone try to suppress a laugh, and looked up to see Rohan holding his fist to his mouth. Coulta glanced at Wildas, who was glaring at his brother. "What's the problem?" he asked.

Rohan removed his hand and took a deep breath before answering, "If the news had gotten to her by now, dragging you around wouldn't have been proper."

"Why are you dragging him around if it isn't proper?" the woman questioned, returning with a cup. "And what can I help you with?"

Coulta thanked her as he took the cup and was glad of how cool it felt in his hands. He was even more glad of how cool the water was to drink.

"You haven't heard the news?" Wildas asked.

"What news?"

Wildas looked slightly awkward, but didn't sound it when he explained, "I'm here to buy gifts for my future spouses." He motioned to Coulta. "He's one of them."

The woman glanced back at Coulta, who held the now-empty cup in his lap. "The gifts?"

Rohan let out the loudest laugh Coulta had ever heard, and quickly slapped a hand over his mouth and turned away. Coulta could see the Prince-General's shoulders shaking.

"Oh!" The woman looked back at Coulta, then to Wildas again, her kind expression changing to one of concern. "What did you do to him, then?"

"Nothing," Wildas replied. "He was injured in a hunting accident when we were out with some of the Guardsmen a few days ago."

So that was the story they were going with. "I'm all right," Coulta assured her.

She looked at him and finally nodded. "I'm glad. I apologize for taking liberties."

Coulta wasn't sure what she meant. "It's all right. Thank you for the water."

She nodded again as she took the cup and returned it to the room in the back. By the time she came back a moment later, Rohan had composed himself.

"I should introduce you," Wildas said. "Aunt Jinry, this is Coulta of Arren. Coulta, my aunt Jinry."

Coulta nodded to the woman. "It's good to meet you."

"You, as well," she replied with a smile. "How did you possibly meet each other?"

"He saved my life in Arren," Wildas explained. "I'm sure you heard that."

"Oh, yes. So, then, are your future wives the two women the rumor mentions?"

"Yes. They helped Coulta bring me home."

Jinry laughed. "I'm sure there are plenty of disappointed suitors now, to know you didn't even choose from among them. Things will be quite interesting when the news gets out, I'm sure. Now, you're both here for gifts?"

Coulta didn't have the slightest idea of what to get Anil or Myri – in fact, he had a better idea of what he could get for Wildas than either of the women. In the end, he settled on a large onyx on a short silver chain for each of them, thanks to Wildas's suggestion that the gifts were meant to make the receiver think of the person who had given the gift. There would never be a mistake in that.

After Coulta had decided, Wildas stepped away from him and Rohan to speak to his aunt quietly. It took nearly an hour for him to specify what he had in mind, then they made their way back to the castle. Coulta was exhausted by that point, and Wildas suggested that he rest for a while. He didn't phrase it as a command, but Coulta didn't argue.

***

Anil wasn't surprised when Master Zairn pulled her aside that afternoon.

"Are you truly marrying the Crown Prince or have the rumors escalated?" he questioned when they were alone in the records room.