20: stormy eyed saviour

Start from the beginning

"Look at me, Alette."

I didn't want to look at him; I was afraid of what I would see.

Disappointment? Weariness? Disgust?

I ignored my falling thoughts, and looked up at him, my breath catching when our eyes met. He moved a step closer to me.

"Okay?" his voice was extraordinarily soft, and it hit me right in the heart.

"I'm okay, thank you. Sorry um f-for...sorry you had to find me like t-that," I scrunched my eyes shut, the memory of the night resurfacing.

He saved me. If he hadn't found me, what would I have done? What would have happened to me? He came to my rescue again. My saviour.

I opened my eyes and looked towards him. It seemed as though he was about to say something, but I beat him to it.

"It doesn't matter, um I a-am sorry that y-you had to help me, I didn't know you would be there I promise," I looked down at my hands, not wanting to look at his eyes flashing in anger in any longer. I felt bad that he had to see me again, to save me again. I knew he didn't want me around.

I apologized, what more could I do?

Before he could say anything, not that it looked like he wanted to, the door burst open and I looked up to see who had come in.

"Oh Faye!" Gramma cried out, launching herself at me.

I put my arms around her, basking in the warmth that she provided.

Uncle Syl came around to the other side and he pulled me into a hug as soon as Grams let go.

"How are you feeling Faye?"

"Did the doctor come and check you already?"

"Have you eaten yet?"

"Why is your heart monitor making that sound?"

The two fired off questions and my eyes widened, feeling overwhelmed.

It seemed as though Aresius caught on because he cleared his throat and got their attention.

"The doctor is outside if you would like to speak to her," he said lowly.

Uncle Syl glanced at him and nodded once. He gave me a kiss on top of my head, and walked outside to meet with Dr. Munroe. I could see them converse in the hallway outside of the room.

Grams got up, "Do you want anything Faye? Water? A snack? Do you want to lay down?"

I shook my head, wincing when it hurt.

"I-I'm fine thank you," I told her softly.

She smiled at me again, and kissed my forehead as the door of the room opened to reveal Uncle Syl and Dr. Munroe.

"So good news Faye, I have a radiologist available right now to conduct your MRI, so we can get all that checked out and I can let you know if you'll be able to go home tonight or tomorrow!" Dr. Munroe smiled brightly.

I nodded slowly, not wanting to linger on the fact that I hated the MRI machines because they made me feel claustrophobic.

"I don't want you walking yet, so some nurses are going to bring you down to the room and I'll meet you there," she gave everyone a wave and walked out of the room.

Two nurses entered the room and began prepping me for the tests, and eventually took me to the room. The next little while felt like a blur as I was tested and assess by the technicians.