32: the cusp of us

T H I R T Y - T W O

♡♡♡

Aresius' POV

The sound of whimpers jolted me awake. I winced as my neck cracked from where it rested on the back of sofa.

We had fallen asleep watching a retelling of a classic fairytale that involved a frying pan, a chameleon and a police horse.

Alette had wanted to watch it, saying it was one of her favourites, and whatever she wanted, she got.

She was in charge. Always.

The movie ended up actually being quite good, and she teased me when she saw me smiling.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that I was smiling at her reaction to the movie rather than the film itself.

Alette let out a louder cry, thrashing around on the sofa, and I immediately got down on my knees beside where she lay.

There were tears leaking out of her tightly shut eyes and she scratched her nails across her chest, neck and arms. 

I grabbed both of her wrists with one hand, stopping her nails from marring her skin. I pinned her hands to her chest, applying some pressure as she continued whimpering and speaking incoherently.

I could make out what sounded like 'please' and 'no' and a string of 'I'm sorrys.'

It physically hurt me to see her in so much fear and anguish.

I gently cupped her cheek with my other hand, murmuring softly, trying to shake her awake. When my low voice didn't reach her, I increased my volume.

"Alette," I spoke soundly, "Wake up, baby. Come back to me."

I put my hand on her shoulder and shook her harder.

"Alette!"

She awoke with a gasp, breathing heavily as she tried to sit up.

"Hey, hey, it's okay, you're fine," I said, pacifying her. I put my hands on her waist, trying to help her sit up, but before I could, a quiet sob wracked her body and she jumped onto me, wrapping her arms around my neck.

I caught her as she leaped onto me and wrapped my arms around her waist, letting her cry quietly.

I got up, still holding her in my arms; she wrapped her legs around my waist and I walked us into the kitchen.

Her cries had quieted down, and I could feel her body physically deflate now that the adrenaline had worn off.

Grasso meowed, following behind us, wanting to be around Alette all the time.

"You're fine if I put you on the counter, my love?" I whispered to her softly.

She mumbled affirmatively against my neck, and I softly placed her on the counter by the sink.

She didn't make eye contact with me, choosing to look down and fidget with her shaking fingers.

I didn't force her to look up, letting her take her time.

I filled up a glass of water and held it out to her. I could see her glassy eyes fixated at a spot on the floor as she reached out and grabbed the glass.

She brought it up to her lips, her eyes seeming tired as she drank slowly.

I wanted to wrap her up into my arms and hold her tight. But I couldn't, yet.