Origin Story- Obi-Wan Kenobi

Start from the beginning

On this particular night, a sandstorm had stirred up during our meal. Ben had helped me block all of the windows and doors to keep the pesky dust from entering my house.

"I don't think I will ever get used to these storms," Ben admitted with a small laugh as he settled back into his seat.

My dining table and chairs were small and worn out. The wood that composed them had been scrapped from an old market stall. My father had made them before he passed on so despite how worn they were, I found it hard to sort with them. I sat in my usual chair. "It will pass by the morning," I assured him.

Having never lived anywhere but Tatooine, I couldn't quite picture a planet that didn't have storms like this.

"It will be too dangerous to travel," I added. "You should stay here for the night."

Ben looked at me, seeking to hesitate. Finally, he nodded.

Sleep was rather difficult with the storm raging outside, so Ben and I found ways to pass the time.

I dealt out the cards and explained the rules of the game to him. Sabacc could be difficult at first, but it was a lot of fun. It wasn't uncommon to see gamblers playing the game around the various bars and casinos on Tatooine. I went through the game step by step for the first round, and to my surprise he caught on rather fast and after a few rounds he managed to beat me.

Our laughter filled the house, drowning out that sounds of the storm outside.

"Ben," I began. I stacked up the cards, readying to shuffle them for the next round. Neither of us had grown bored of the game yet. "How come you never talk about your past?"

He went quiet, his blue eyes looked down at the small wooden table and I suddenly regretted asking the question. Perhaps it was too soon to start pressing into things that weren't my business.

His eyes then flickered upward to meet mine. "I'm from the planet Stewjon," he said. "I was an only child."

I stared at him in shock, surprised he was going tinto detail. Of course, he already knew all of those same facts about me.

"Once it was discovered that I was force sensitive, my parents sent me away to Coruscant to have a better life." He spoke in a hushed tone, as if fearing someone was listening.

"Force sensitive?" I repeated. I had heard tales of the Jedi and how they could move things with only their mind. But out here in Tatooine, those stories seemed like just that. Stories. I raised a brow, unsure of whether or not I should believe him.

Ben smiled and waved his hand. The deck of cards flew to his palm. He gently set them back on the table with a sigh. "You're the first person I've told all of this too. I have to admit, it is rather nice having someone to confide in."

I tried desperately not to gawk at him. "I always thought stories of the Jedi were exaggerated," I said. Never in my life had a seen something like that. It suddenly all made sense. How he convinced Zanwes to buy my clothing and why he always seemed so secretive.

Ben chuckled softly. "Some may very well be," he admitted. "I like to think we were great when we were at our peak. I like to think we did some good."

I slowly reached across the table and took his hand in mine. I may never have met a Jedi before or have seen them in action, but if the stories were true, they did plenty of good all across the galaxy. I only wished that they hadn't forgotten about this sad, dusty little planet.

He gave my hand a light squeeze and we simply watched each other for a few quiet moments.

I wanted to kiss him.