I've Been Waiting For You

One last shot at figuring it out. One last diary entry.

That's it. This is the last one. After this, Reign and I have to go find H and give him his things back. All we can do is hope that he'll tell us his story in full.

We have to hope he'll give us names. Who is he? Who is L? Who is G? Who were they and who are they now?

Grammy tells us that he'll do it, he'll spill all his best-kept secrets if we only ask. That seems like a pretty big order to me, but then again, I never knew him, and she knew him well. I want to know him. I feel like I do, at least a tad bit. I feel like I know his deepest secret, but I just can't get past face value of it.

So here's what we know:

1. H has one and only, please, and let us love written on his diary.

2. L and H aren't allowed to be together. Why? Unknown.

3. Grammy was friends with H, L, and G

4. We don't know who L or G are, but we have ideas. Darcy doesn't agree with mine.

5. ...

6. L wrote an entry for H, so we know they were truly in love with each other. It wasn't unrequited.

7. L.T. are L's full initials.

8. L was having a baby, but according to later in the entry, the baby was lost. H was just as sad to learn this as he was to learn of the pregnancy.

9. H was around when mum was a child. He was still close with Grammy when he got older.

10. H wrote many more diaries. His whole life he wrote them, never stopped.

11. Their disagreement about who should know things as mum grew up around H so he took a backseat in her life.

Again, it's not much. It's been months of 'not much', but it's what we have, and it has to be enough for now. It has to be enough for this last diary entry, for our last shot at the story.

"I have so many questions, Reign," I sigh and flop face down on her bed.

"I'm starting to think this is a giant waste of time," Reign slams the photo albums shut and rests her chin on her hand.

"It's not, why would you say that?" even as I say it, I know how close I've been at throwing in the towel.

We haven't gotten anything new, and it all seems to just be a dead end. H doesn't write for months after the last entry. Months of radio silence and then all of a sudden, he's back like nothing happened. Maybe nothing did happen, how are we supposed to know?

We've been going through H's things with a fine pick comb for hours today, trying to see anything we may have missed or overlooked. Nothing.

Nothing is adding up still. None of it makes sense.

"Because this is a waste of time, Darcy. These aren't our things, this isn't our lives, it has absolutely nothing to do with us," Reign tosses the albums toward me and crosses her arms. "Why should we care about some stupid love story" she puts air quotes around the last two words. "When it was doomed to begin with? They probably broke up, who fucking cares?"

"I care," I knit my eyebrows together and cross my arms, mirroring my twin. "I care because Grammy told us about him, he does have something to do with our lives, Reign, he was part of mums for a while and a huge part of Grammy's,"

"So what, Darcy? Genuinely, so what?" Reign gives me a pointed look. "What is so important about some old—"

My phone begins ringing loudly, cutting her off, I had forgotten to turn the ringer off this morning. I pick it up to see who's calling. "It's Grammy" I had asked her to call me when she was free one afternoon.