iv

Y/N's friends will be changed to Shinobu and Mitsuri. I keep forgetting the names Lia and Hayley and this way it'll help me with the plot better,,, sorry HAHA

After your small meeting with the unexpected sorcerer, Shinobu was quick to send you back to the shared apartment—not even allowing you to stop by the festivities nor Mitsuri's job. Regardless of your disappointment, you did as told, deciding you'd much rather spend another boring day inside than put yourself in another uncomfortable situation.

Arriving back to the apartment, the evening sun emitted a soft, almost welcoming light upon the rooms through the sheer white curtains. The day was quick to come to an end after your arrival, the two colourful girls soon arriving back home in a rush as Shinobu hurriedly ran into the apartment to give you a piece of her mind.

"Do you have any idea how dangerous that was?!" She cried, shaking your shoulders roughly.

You rolled your eyes at her over exaggeration. Pulling out the notebook you had been using to communicate the last few days, you replied. 'But nothing happened. He was actually really sweet.'

The girl furrowed her brows. "You're getting involved with dangerous people here Y/N. I'm not saying this out of pettiness or wanting to annoy you; I'm being serious!" Mitsuri walked into the room and poured upon sensing the tense atmosphere. "Tell them Mitsuri!"

"Wah?! Don't drag me into this!" Shinobu glared at the pinkette who was quick to glance away. "W—Shinobu does have a point. It's not my place to assume of course but out of personal experience, they aren't good."

You tilted your head before writing down on your book. 'Personal experience?'

Sharing a look, the girls sighed—deciding now would be the best time to speak up about past experiences. Grabbing some chairs, both girls sat in front of you.

"It started when we were both young. Before the war between the sorcerer kingdoms was even a possibility." Shinobu started. "Before you moved into town and into the apartment with us, we used to have a group of friends."

Mitsuri nodded before adding, "We were all pretty naive back then. Interested in magic and witchcraft, Shinobu and I became apprentices of a nearby healing witch who later went missing."

"People started disappearing. More specifically; sorcerers and witches. Those who played with magic and witchcraft were looked down upon and either forced to leave or quit their works. Thankfully, Mitsuri and I weren't known to be witches so we weren't targeted—however, our friends weren't so lucky." The ravenette frowned. "Tengen Uzui was once our close friend, however, he was exposed for using strength magic—vanished from town and denied any further access and connections to the people in town."

"We know he didn't mean harm when meeting with you today but..." Mitsuri trailed off as she glanced at you before casting her gaze to the side—deciding that the patterns on the kitchen tile walls were more interesting. "He's not bad just... the situations he could potentially get you into are bad."

With furrowed brows, you quickly wrote down on your book. 'I've already been in contact with dark magic though. Why do you think he could do any worse than taking away my voice?'

Shinobu hummed. "You've got a point."

'He said he would help me if I helped him. I'd like to believe I could handle myself if I chose to agree.'

"Helping you?" Mitsuri tilted her head before turning to Shinobu. "You don't think he means—"

"Whatever he means—" the girl glared at the pinkette. "—I don't think it's a good idea to go alone Y/N. There are countless possibilities of things that could happen."

Giving them a quick nod, you tapped your pen on your book. 'So come with me. If you both know them then I'm sure it won't be as dangerous traveling together.'

"Traveling together?!" Mitsuri gasped, stars dancing in her eyes. "Do you think Obanai would still—"

She was yet again cut off by the hardened look of her friend. "It's too dangerous Y/N. Even if we did manage to meet up with them, neither of us knows if they're the same as they once were. For all we know, they could've lost their minds!"

'Do you expect me to stay mute my entire life?'

"That's not what I'm saying!" She defended. "It's just—maybe if we just wait it out it'll come back? Maybe it's just a temporary curse!"

"I don't know Shinobu. From the time I was an apprentice, the only curse involving the theft of one's voice wasn't temporary..." Mitsuri sighed, scratching her head. "And from what I remember, it wasn't an easy curse to lift either."

'And that's supposed to make me feel better??' You quickly wrote down, both you and Shinobu sending the now guilty girl a glare.

"What she meant to say," Shinobu scoffed. "is that this curse is rather complex and requires a lot of work. We can honestly do this without the help of Uzui and Rengoku."

Your eyes widened at the mention of the heart-eater, the clogs in your brain now turning. No wonder their interests always peaked when they spotted his castle in the distance.

'Did you both know Rengoku as well?'

They stared wide eyed at the book, seemingly not having had planned to spill that minor detail. Sharing a glance, they grimaced as you frowned and begun writing again.

'Uzui had also mentioned Rengoku when I met him. If you two know Uzui and he knows Rengoku then you're both also connected to him.'

Heaving a sigh, the darker haired girl nodded. "Yes. We know him." She finally admitted through gritted teeth. "However, he carries a curse like no other. We were basically forced to stay away from him."

"She's telling the truth. We had planned to leave with them when they got vanished from town, but they all said that their journeys would be dangerous—we would be safer here." Mitsuri nodded. "Though, it seems their efforts to keep magic out of our lives are futile now that you got cursed."

'Why exactly did I get cursed?'

"We actually wouldn't know the answer to that. Though, there are countless reasons; jealousy, love, revenge, anger." Shinobu listed before meeting your confused glance. "However, it's odd considering you haven't done anything to others and this doesn't seem to be a curse involving love."

Mitsuri nodded with a clap. "Yes! I don't believe you have found anyone who loves you yet, am I right?" You glared at the girl as she quickly stiffened. "Sorry. But without a love interest, there is no need to be jealous! Youve done no wrong to people around us."

"That is true." Shinobu hummed. She seemed to be deep in thought before suddenly jumping up, snapping her fingers. "The war! The war between sorcerers has no relation to our town, however, it is still possible that a sorcerer infiltrated us and decided to curse people in town!"

"Of course!" Mitsuri gasped. "How could we have missed that. I'm sure this is the case; sorcerers everywhere do it when a war between kingdoms and cities is in play."

You nodded your head—not quite understanding but trying to keep up nonetheless.

'So what will we do? I still can't stay mute forever.'

"You won't stay mute. I hate to say this, but I believe you were onto the right idea earlier Y/N." Shinobu admitted as you brightened. "An old friend of ours is sure to know how to rid the curse, however, we don't know of his whereabouts."

Mitsuri nodded before scratching her chin. "Does that mean we'll be going into witches' mountains?"

The darker haired girl nodded. "That is where most of the vanished sorcerers went after all. If we can't find Himejima-san, we'll be sure to find the others."

"Does that mean?!" The pinkette gasped again.

Shinobu rolled her eyes. "Yes. We'll probably be meeting Obanai again. We leave tomorrow morning though—bright an early—so pack your bags!"

Confused, but deciding that your friends' words were best judged, you did as told. Spending your last night getting ready for the adventure that was soon to come with the rising sun.