the end

six months later

it was the holiday season, and after various calls from her mother, devyn was coerced into spending her christmas with the davidsons, who she hadn't seen since she left for florida. contact between her and george was nonexistent, so she had no way of knowing if he would be home or not. she even moved out to avoid contact with the davidsons, she couldn't bear having to have a conversation with george's mom.

devyn threw herself into her work, working overtime and asking for extra cases, anything to avoid alone time with her thoughts. she started going to therapy and focusing on herself on top of her increased workload. she was miserable either way, but she figured that it was more bearable than the pain of breaking your own heart.

holding a freshly baked apple pie as a peace offering, devyn reluctantly rings the doorbell.

the door opens, revealing one of george's sisters, who smiles when she sees who it is, which was a big relief for devyn.

"you're here! i missed you so much. and we know about you and george, it's going to be fine! it was probably him anyway, wasn't it?" she pulls dev into the house, who scrambles to take off her winter boots.

"wait, what's going to be fine?"

devyn looks up to meet the eyes of someone she knows all too well. the first time seeing him in months, the room goes still as she walks forward, as if it's holding its breath.

there weren't enough words or adjectives to describe how george felt when he saw her face. how much guilt, fear, and regret washed over him when his sister pushed the door open a little further. he thought he'd be angry to see her after she'd left him, but it was the opposite. george was happy to see her, a familiar face in all the chaos he'd endured online. someone real who understood him to his core. he loved her, and he only blamed himself for being too selfish to let her know.

it was painfully awkward at dinner, neither one of them making a move to reach out to the other. it wasn't until afterwards when they found themselves on the deck watching the snow fall that they were completely alone.

"you look good, george," she says, her voice barely above a whisper. the night was eerily quiet, all sound was absorbed by the white sheets of snow. "i like the long hair."

"thanks."

they were both too afraid to move, too afraid to make the wrong move.

"i started seeing a therapist," she blurts.

"yeah? that's good. how is it?"

"good. i think it's what i needed. she says i have to confront my fears and to stop running away from what i deserve."

"and what's that?"

"love," devyn says bluntly.

"love," george repeats, the word slipping from his mouth like velvet. "you do deserve it. more than anyone."

"i wouldn't say more than anyone."

"hm, yeah you're right."

"shut up," devyn laughs, lightly punching his arm. he rubs it dramatically, rolling his eyes.

they stood for a few more silent minutes before george spoke.

"i'm sorry i couldn't give you the love you deserved."

she chooses her next words carefully. "i couldn't give you the love you deserved, so i guess we'll call it even," devyn pauses. "how long are you going to be home? uh, in london, i mean."

"however long it takes for you to realize that i love you."

devyn turns to look at him so quickly that she might've gotten whiplash. she searches his eyes for any chance he might be lying, but they're true and full of intent.

"what?"

"i love you, devyn. and i'm sorry it took me this long to come home and tell you. the moment you walked out the door, i knew, but i thought it'd be best to let you go, i'd already been selfish enough," he reaches for her hands, holding them in his. "i love you. and you don't have to say it back, but i have missed you so much. i shouldn't have let you go."

devyn was too stunned to even comprehend what he was saying. she'd been sure that they were over, that he'd lost feelings. but here he was, home, confessing his love for her, and she was finally ready to accept it.

"i love you too, george."

he smiles, gently pressing their foreheads together. he finally reached his green light at the end of the dock.

GUYS WE FREAKING DID IT YEAHHHHHH POGGIES MOMENT

thanks for reading and coming on this journey with meeee !! this is like the first book i've ever written and yeah it was kinda BAD but i appreciate all of u for being here <3

ALSO NEW SAPNAP BOOK YASSSS FIRST CHAPTER IS OUT NOW

THANK YOU ALL I LOVE U ♡︎