23 | Missed Call, Missed Opportunities

Начните с самого начала

"You really trust her?" Dad asked again. I nodded.

"Then The Family will protect her alright? That's her payment, if she won't take money we will make sure she is always looked after," Dad smiled, nodding at my choice in woman as well as the favour he had offered.

This usually happened with Mafia families,they relied heavily on trust and favours. If someone helped you out massively like this, you owe them one. I excused myself from the call to answer the door for the Chinese delivery, noticing that Y/N was late from work and flicking her another text.

TOM
You on your way home?

"So this new girlfriend of yours... You going to bring her home and introduce us all?" Sam asked, holding back a smile knowing I hated talking about my love life with my family. Especially Mum. Mum has always hated any girl I brought home.

"Actually yeah, I was thinking I would once I get out of this place... She left Witness Protection like two or three weeks ago but she's living here until she finds a new place to buy in the city... But I think you guys would like her. She almost killed Haz the first time they met," I laughed, prompting Mum to frown and the men in our family to laugh.

"Please tell us this story," Sam laughed, eager to hear more about Y/N as I rarely talked about girls to them.

"Well Haz, the fucking asshole, broke into her house to scope her out. Turns out she noticed and when she was at my place and saw him, she thought he was an intruder and hurled a knife across the kitchen at him. It literally got stuck in the wall... Wait I'll show you," I laughed, picking up the laptop and carrying it to the kitchen.

"See the hole here? It's like a perfect slit where the knife was sticking out. But yeah, I thought she was a narc and eventually we figure out who each other were and uh, yeah it's been smooth sailing since then," I shrug, taking the laptop back to the couch and deciding to start eating the room temperature food.

Turns out Y/N must be late. She hasn't responded to my last text message, she hasn't even read it. I cover my mouth as I eat a dumpling, listening to Dad's stories about jail which is both equally terrifying and intriguing. I call Y/N, but it goes straight to voicemail.

He talked for ages before I noticed the time eventually, more than two hours had gone past from when Y/N said she would anticipate to be home. Is she okay? Is she safe? She just got Uncle Jack sentenced to jail, maybe she's in danger?

I'm bouncing my leg nervously, trying to listen to Dads story and not worry about where Y/N is. I try calling her again; straight to voicemail.

Eventually Mum tells us all we need to rest up and that today was a big day; I agree, it was a big day and I'm fucking exhausted. I promise that as soon as I'm allowed home I'll visit them and we all hang up.

It's been four hours since Y/N was supposed to be home. The Chinese food is in the fridge untouched and waiting for her to get home like I am. I'm in bed but I can't fall asleep before she gets home, I need to know she is safe.

Embarrassingly I wake up and sit up with a jolt, not knowing how long I've been out and scolding myself for falling asleep before Y/N got home.

But next to me is Y/N, in one of my t-shirts and no pants like usual. She sits up and puts her arms around me, asking me if I had a nightmare and if I'm okay.

"Y-you're home? How long have I been asleep?" I ask, lying back down in bed and rolling over to face her.

"I got home like an hour ago, it's midnight," she whispered, brushing her fingers through my hair soothingly.

"You were late, I got so worried that something had happened to you darling... But I fell asleep I'm sorry," I said gently.

"Don't apologise, you look exhausted. I had to finalise all this tedious paperwork to keep Jack in prison until his trial... You happy with today's result?" She whispered, smiling softly at me.

"You're fucking incredible," I whispered, leaning in to kiss her a few times before smiling.

"I want you to meet them... My family I mean. I think you should meet the guy you risked everything for," I said pulling her closer against me, her head resting on my chest.

"Anything for you Tom, I know how much he means to you... And Jack tried to kill him so fuck that guy," she chuckled, nuzzling her head against me and yawning.

"What are we going to do this weekend hm?" She said quietly, becoming more and more tired by the second.

"You're going to rest. You've been working non-stop for days on end for this case, you need a sleep in for once. But I was thinking maybe I could take you out to this place my brothers and I go to... And I can guarantee you that no other man would have taken you there on a normal date. But I think it'll be fun," I smile, kissing the top of her head as she nodded and drifted back to sleep.