nine

Elijah and I made our way back up to the room with the piano. It was growing dark and the horizon was turning pretty shades of yellows, pinks, and purples. 

     "Dance with me," whispered Elijah once he had turned on his record player. I recognized it as one of the same songs that was put on last night. I grabbed his outstretched hand as he spun me around effortlessly.

     "I've never learned," I protested.

     "I guess I'll have to teach you a lot of things," Elijah said, spinning me around once again after he winked at me.

     "Stay, just a little bit longer,"  the music murmered as we swayed to the music. 

     "You know," I said, "The music on the radio sounds a lot different from these ones."

     "These are real voices," said Elijah, "Not the edited voices covered up by a good tune that we have nowadays." 

     "If we have another dance just one more time," 

     "Oh won't you stay, just a little bit longer,"    

     I laughed as he spun me around, and I tripped over his feet slightly. 

     "Maybe we shouldn't be dancing," I gave a breathless laugh before he put a finger to my lips, as if he were telling me to shut up politely.

     "Won't you press your sweet lips to mine," Elijah sang along with the music, lifting me up by my waist slightly, almost touching my lips. I leaned in without thinking, finally feeling the soft lips that I'd been yearning to feel. It was like sparks were igniting. I felt butterflies in a lot of places.. 

      It was a small sweet kiss, I felt more alive than ever at the end of it. My lips were still tingling when we parted and I stared at him in shock.

     "Come on, come on, come on and stay,"  the song finished quietly, and the pause came, and he set me down before smiling that same boyish smile that I had grown to love. I had reached up and grabbed the back of his neck with my hand, and forced his lips to meet mine again. I lips moved together perfectly, he slowly and lightly bit my lower lip as we parted for air. 

     We began dancing again and I laid my head on his chest and he rocked back and forth. 

     "The night we met I knew I needed you so,"  the next song sang. And with that, we danced and laughed for hours into the night.