four

Breakfast was good. I ate until I was full. I would need the energy if I were to continue running. And if they didn't kick me out, if they put me to death like the criminal I was, then at least I could die on a full stomach. 

     Elijah ate next to me, stealing glances as I ate my last pancake.

     "Now, will you tell me your name?" He whispered in my ear, even though we were the only ones at the table. His lowered voice made my heart tingle. He brushed away my hair, exposing my neck.

     Here goes nothing, 

      "Frances," I say breathlessly, and he froze. 

     He stood up from the chair he was sitting in, backed away only a foot.

     "How old are you, Frances?" He asked, suspicion drawing his eyebrows closer together.

     "Seventeen." I said, my voice not void of emotion.

     "You're not-" 

     "Oh, I am," I cut him off. 

     "You're a murderer."

     "I know," I said softly, guilt shaking my voice. 

     "You've been missing for seven years."

     "I know." 

     He stood in silence as I looked back at him from the chair I was sitting in. He didn't look in my eyes, just stared at the chair he was sitting in next to me. 

     "Why did you do it?" He gritted through his teeth, after many moments of silence. 

     "Because I had the power to," I said honestly, yet not willing to tell the whole truth. 

     "How heartless do you have to be? To kill five hundred people at only ten years old?" He sternly asked. 

      "I wasn't heartless, just desperate enough," I said, tears threatening to spill as I remembered that night. 

     "The infamous Frances Lorraine," He said through a fake smile, "I am mated to a killer." 

     "I know," I said, and I got up. I ran upstairs, found my room. I looked through the small walk-in closet and found some plain clothes. After he found out I was a murderer, I assumed stealing wouldn't be a big shock to him. I quickly put them on and opened the doors to the balcony. I jumped off, knowing I'd reach the ground safely because I'm a wolf. And I ran.

     I found myself a tall tree, just outside of their territory. It was only an hour after I had confessed. And although I wanted to be guilt-free, I couldn't help feeling sad after seeing the look on Elijah's face. I was laying on one of the branches, twirling my now clean hair in my fingers.

     "Frances?" I heard the voice of Jeremy on the ground, and I turned around a looked down. 

     "Hi Jeremy," I said, and apparently I looked somewhat miserable, because he replied with a sympathetic,

     "Oh, Honey."

     He climbed up the tree and sat on a slightly lower branch just next to me,

     "Girl, how do you have the balance to lay on the things?" He asked as he wobbled on the tree.

     "After seven years of running, I sleep here, practice. I guess."

     "Elijah is mad," Jeremy sighed. 

     "I would be too finding out my mate was a kill-"