002|BY HIS SIDE

★ • • • BY HIS SIDE • • • ★

• • • BY HIS SIDE • • •

Just as we were then, I wish we were now; by each other's, side hand in hand. I wish for us to be like that.

★ • • • ★ • • • ★

"Bye dad! I'm leaving!"

"Bye son! Have a nice day at school!"

After a farewell from his father, Noriaki heads off. Walking along the cracked concrete, the boy inhales the crisp morning air, the sky a grey blue. A soft breeze blew at him, flailing his uniform coat behind him.

     With a stride around the corner, Noriaki finds a second pair of footsteps joining him. It's Jotaro. The taller of the two matches the redhead's stride, the breeze nipping at him the same. "Oh, hey! Morning, Jotaro," Noriaki greets. Jotaro simply shoots him a glance, nodding at him and muttering a, "Mornin'," in response. They both quietly stroll alongside each other, the air a bit tense but not unbearable.

     "So..."

     "Hmm?"

     "How've you been," Jotaro queries.

     "Oh, uh, I've been good. You," Noriaki replies, a bit taken aback by the question.

     "I've been... alright," the taller of the two trails off.

     "Yeah? I figured as much since you're back," Noriaki continues.

     Jotaro sighs, fidgeting with the brim of his hat, "Yeah, good enough to be back, unfortunately."

     "Well, welcome back. I was meaning to ask you yesterday, but you seemed... preoccupied by the other students."

     Jotaro groaned at the mention of his classmates, "If anything, you're the only person I would have wanted to talk to. You're not annoying."

"I see," Noriaki murmurs with a chuckle.

The rest of the walk was silent, both teens simply enjoying each other's company.

     Shortly, they arrive at the campus together, side by side. It was early enough to where students were still trickling in, the campus not being entirely full just yet. As Noriaki went on to enter the building, Jotaro still followed after him, a bit curious.

"Goin to class already," Jotaro hums.

"Yeah, it's not like I have anywhere else to be," Noriaki shrugs.