17. A Long Night

Mu Ning looked at me with blank eyes as I broke the kiss. I didn't blame him as I was as flabbergasted as him. I didn't know what got into me, but by that time, a kiss seemed like the fastest way to heal Mu Ning.

"I..." I started as the silence was getting more and more awkward each passing second, but couldn't continue.

"Oh my!" Mu Ning took over the word. Pointing at his wounded leg, he exclaimed, "it doesn't hurt at all!"

Heaving a sigh of relief, I said "I told you my blood is special."

Mu Ning nodded affirmatively, "when I saw your blood, I thought the colour was strange, too dark, but I would never guess it had magic in it."

"Magic?" I asked in shock, "not demonic?"

Mu Ning smiled at me, "how come something that heals can be demonic?"

That was it. I couldn't deny the strange tingling in my heart anymore. As I was an eternal loner, I tried to convince myself that what I felt for Mu Ning was only gratitude, but no. Without even realising, he dug his way into my frozen heart and conquered it.

On the other hand, I was aware of the fact that I was mixing Mu Ning's highly friendly attitude with something else. He was so nice to everyone, but being hungry for nice words and gestures, my silly heart got him wrong.

How come my heart could know a demon had no right to love?

Even if Mu Ning returned my feelings, which was impossible, I wouldn't drag him into my terrible life. As I was a half-demon and that fact would never change, I wouldn't taint Mu Ning's shiny light with my darkness.

I had no right to love.

"Did I say something wrong?" Mu Ning's words brought my lost soul back.

"No," I whispered, "it was what I always wanted to hear."

"Oh, good then," Mu Ning smiled at me as he stood up, "let's go."

I tried to move my legs, but they weren't healed yet. "You just go and call for help," I tried to send him to the safety of the temple. I heard wolves howling and I wouldn't be able to protect Mu Ning with my still broken limbs.

"No way!" he uttered, terrified, "I will carry you, I am already healed, right?" he said, patting his healed leg in an attempt to prove his words. Before I could object, he grabbed my arms carefully and pulled me on to his back. From the close proximity, his sweet tea-tree scent filled into my nostrils, lulling me to a wilful dream as the reality was too cruel.

Although Mu Ning seemed fragile, he managed to carry me until the temple's huge doors. As I didn't use any effort other than calming my raging heart, I was healed to a significant degree if I didn't count my stinging back.

"Shifu!" Mu Ning exclaimed as soon as the doors were opened before us.

"What is going on here?" the old guy I asked with astonishment as I got off from Mu Ning's back. Still, he grabbed my arm, balancing me.

"The representatives of Jin, Tu and Shui set a trap for Hong Huo," Mu Ning explained briefly.

"What?" the old guy II took a step forward towards us before half turning his body back, "what do you say about it, Hei Shui?"

Following the old guy II's gazing direction, I saw Sly standing at the door of the second building with a pale face.

"He is lying! Huang Tu and Bai Jin are already dead! They collaborated and tried to kill us!" he lied blatantly, showing no sign of remorse.

If it was only me, then maybe I could let him go, but he dared to hurt Mu Ning. It was unforgivable. I kept glaring at him with a myriad of torturing scenarios in my mind. Maybe I focused on him too much or maybe my hatred for him was too strong, I am not sure; however, what I know is after a worthy glaring, Sly's robe caught on fire!

So, I could use some demonic power despite the curse mark, ha?

Sly kept running around like a headless chicken while crying out for help, but until water was brought, he was already dead.

I felt Mu Ning fidgeting next to me and turning my head towards him, I saw he was staring at me with a confused look in his almond eyes.

"Did you..." he half-asked and I shrugged.

"I don't know," I said honestly, "I was just staring at him, then this happened."

He nodded with a far-away look, making me panic.

"Are you angry?"

"I don't know what to feel, but I am not angry, no," he said, each word spilling refreshing water to my burning heart.

"You two, come here and explain everything!" the old guy III snapped us out of our own world.

"It can wait, we have a more serious problem," a familiar voice said behind us and turning around slightly, I saw what nightmares were made of.

The leader of Huo Clan... my alleged father...