Chapter 11

Old knives opened new wounds.

Friends. Best friends are what they used to be. How could he give up on it so easily? It didn't make sense. It was natural to be distant from him now, they met after years. But Louis thought it impossible to forget someone you spent the life enjoying the most. Harry didn't really avoid Louis anymore, after that hill incident a few days ago, but it was still not like they were best of friends, or friends even. Louis didn't find it annoying or maddening anymore, it just roused his curiosity. There had to be a reason to do what he does, wouldn't there? Harry had the most unique poise Louis had ever seen. It could do draw the undivided attention of absolutely anyone.

Louis didn't recognize him as the one he used to be friends with. It wasn't him at all. It felt it was a completely different person with just the same name as Harry's. Can one person be so different? He felt really obliged towards Harry and usually found it slightly odd that the others weren't as intrigued by him as he was. Harry had the ability to take the right step at most times. His posture and presence in themselves were very calming and soothing. Harry was the person you could never grow tired of.

"What are you thinking about?" Niall asked. Like many days Harry was in his room to meet Niall.

"Nothing, you know I keep thinking, to keep myself occupied." Louis tried to seem wise.

"I think the majority of our problems wouldn't exist if we couldn't think," Harry piped in quietly.

Niall threw him a weird glance, "You can stop with your philosophy shit," he said.

"Kinda rude to be fair," Louis sided with Harry.

"To be fair," Harry repeated, nodding his head. Niall knowingly glanced at Harry. Harry probably understood the signal and rolled his eyes.

"Fine, be against me," Niall said, got up, and went to his desk in a spilt of a second.

Louis registered the sudden movement, "You're literally being childish," Harry murmured.

"And?" Niall interjected.

"Nothing, do your deed, good to see you actually working after so many days." Louis raised his eyebrows.

"Y'all rude as fuck," Niall sighed dramatically.

What Niall said, he actually meant it. He just went to his desk and started working, not attending to the two at all. Louis sighed at this.

"Don't you wanna go?" Niall asked without looking at either of them. But it was surely for Harry.

"You're being rude again, James," Louis said.

"I don't remember telling you my middle name," Niall said suspiciously.

"Of course you don't" Louis huffed.

And they continued bickering, Harry watching them with a groan.

"Fine, I'll be off, you both continue," Harry got up, they both stopped abruptly, "Bye Niall. Bye L" Harry bade his goodbye to each other.

'L'? Harry had called him that once. No one had called him 'L' as a nickname. Louis thought it was sweet.

"Bye H," Louis smiled. Harry smiled back.

"Stop looking at him like that, Louis," Niall interjected again.

"The fuck?" Louis broke his gaze from Harry and turned it to Niall instead. Can't he even look at someone now? Niall laughed. 

Harry smiled quietly once more and walked out with his face hung low. Louis watched him leave, with Niall's eyes on him.

Louis saw Harry erase his traces from the room as he finally closed the door.