I nervously wait for her to get me out of the corner. Once she's finished cleaning, I hear her sitting on the edge of my bed. "Max, come over here,"

I shuffle my feet, no longer angry. Just nervous. Mum holds my arms gently. "Look at me, baby,"

It's hard, but I look up at her. She looks disappointed.

"I think that Chris provoked you. Am I right?"

"Yeah,"

"You've been misbehaving all week, Max. And it's all been because of him. You need to stop letting him provoke you before you get in real trouble," 

"Am I getting a spanking?"

"With the wooden spoon, Max,"

"N-No!" I've never been hit with the spoon before. It seems scary, I've been threatened with it. Dad says that how his Mum spanked him.

"Yes Max. I'm not spanking you for painting the wall. You'd have just gotten corner time. I'm spanking you for fighting with your brother,"

I start sobbing into my hands.

"That's right. This could all have been over if you'd told me you painted the wall. Now come with me," Mum grabs my hand and pulls my downstairs. I only struggle superficially. 

We get to the kitchen and Mum grabs the spoon from the drawer. I cry while she takes a seat at the kitchen table. "Come on Max, let's get this over with,"

"But it'll hurt me..." I cry.

"I'll let you keep your pants on. Come on," Mum helps me over her knees. She pulls my undies down but lets me keep my pants on.

"Th-This isn't fair..."

"It's very fair Max. If this is the only way to address your behaviour, then it's what we'll be doing,"

SMACK!

The first smack with the spoon hurts a lot. It's much harder than a hand!

"Ouch!" and it's cold. But then my bum starts stinging where she smacked me.

"Your behaviour has been unacceptable Max. If I need to spank you like this again before school starts, I don't know what we can do,"

She starts smacking me really hard again and again with the spoon.

SMACK! SMACK! SMACK!

Mum stops spanking me and lets me up. I can't stop crying! And I stamp my feet and cry.

"Come on Max," Mum hugs me against her. "That's it all finished. That wasn't fun, and I hope we don't have to do that again,"

"I-I don't want to go to the corner again,"

"That's okay, do you want to play with Roxie?" she offers me.

"No," I wipe away some tears with my hands. "I'm just tired,"

"Alright. You can go and have a nap,"

I go upstairs to my bed. There isn't much paint left on the wall. I think my spanking would have been worse if she couldn't clean it all off. I get in bed and hide under my cool covers. I pull down my trousers and pants, and they cool my stinging butt down. I drift off to sleep to the sound of Mum going to Chris' room and giving him into trouble too.

When I wake up, I hear Dad getting home. Mum hugs him and he asks where I am.  Lying in bed, OI whimper as Mum explains the situation to him.

"He did what?! Sally, this is the last straw,"