Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

"I love you, rockstar."

"I love you." I kissed her. I was an addict who could never have enough of her lips. "I love you so fucking much."

Having Josie was like having a winning lottery ticket. I knew it was rare so I didn't want to fuck it up.

So much for that. I snap myself out of the memory. I treated her well, didn't I? I thought she was happy.

I flop face first onto the bed. I wish I could just forget her. Fuck, my life would've been easier if I wouldn't have met her.

Sure, maybe I owe the EP and my current rising success to her. If I hadn't met her, maybe I wouldn't have this.

This. What the fuck is this, anyway? A developing alcohol addiction and a broken heart?

I groan, flipping over to stare at the ceiling.

I can't keep living like this. Maybe if I just talk to her face to face when I go back to Atlanta. I nod to myself.

Yes, I need to man the fuck up and talk to Josie in person. That's the first thing I'll do when I get back to town on Sunday.

When Sunday comes, my plane lands around lunchtime on the east coast. It was noon when I left LAX and it's only one o'clock here it ATL. It's almost like the four-hour flight didn't happen at all.

I take an Uber straight to her apartment. Every part of me wanted to stop by an ABC store for some liquid courage but I will not be like my mother. Everyone expects me to become an addict one day as if it's a gene we can't escape. Fuck that.

When I see Josie's apartment complex, my heart jumps into my throat. I'm angry as hell but under that I'm hurt. I don't want her to see the emotion on my face, but it's inevitable.

My feet on the stairs feel like thousand-pound weights and all too soon I've reached her door. I didn't see her red convertible in the parking lot, but sometimes she parks in the back so I'm still hopeful.

I knock three times, taking a deep breath. Livi and her unruly brown hair greets me.

"H-Hudson." Her eyes are big. I can tell she's shocked to see me. "What are you doing here?"

"Can I talk to Josie, please? I don't want to argue. I just... I don't understand. Please? Can I come in?"

"You can come in." She opens the door wide enough for me to step through, "But Josie isn't here."

"Oh." I step inside and push away the flashbacks of Josie and I's couch escapades when Livi wasn't around. "When will she be back?"

"Um..." Livi looks around nervously at anything but me. "She-she moved, Hudson. To New York."

The pit that's been residing in my stomach turns into a fucking black hole. Josie moved to NYC?

"What the fuck?"

"I-I know. Um... she needed the change."

"Is she okay? Is-is she happy?" I hate that my voice breaks when I ask, but I can't help it.

"She's okay." Livi nods. "Would you like a water or anything?"

"No." I rub my face vigorously. "Livi, why did she break up with me?"

"I think she's had a lot going on. I think she was overwhelmed. We didn't talk much about it." Her eyebrow raises and I wonder what she knows that I don't. I get the feeling she's got a lot more information than she's letting on.

"I was blindsided." I sigh, gathering my thoughts. "So, she's living in New York permanently?"

"Yeah. She's trying to move on. I'm sorry for whatever happened. Josie was... not herself. I think she needed the change of scenery."