chapter ten

c h a p t e r t e n ; a month later

Elizabeth ran down the street as school let out for the weekend. Lennox was beside her as they tried to get to the coffee shop before it got full of freshman. Elizabeth and Lennox laughed as they got the table they preferred.

"So, I got partnered with Lucy for the project for theatre class," Lennox complained as they took out their homework. "She thinks that she's going to be on Broadway as soon as we graduate. So it's either going to be a breeze or the worst experience of my life."

"I left drama club because of her," Elizabeth admitted. She smiled as Lennox laughed. "But I found a better- sorry, I think it's-" Elizabeth looked at the caller i.d. It was Simon. "I'll be right back."

Elizabeth rushed out into the streets of New York as she answered Simon's phone call. It had been a month since she had heard from Simon or Clary. She had talked to Raphael once or twice in the last month. Elizabeth felt out of the loop, so she made her focus on normal things that a senior in high school would focus on.

"Simon?"

"Liza! I- I'm- I made a mistake," Simon said.

Elizabeth freaked, but instead of trying to calm him down, she yelled, "It took you a month to call or even text me? I sent you a million texts and you never responded to any of them! I was worried about you, and you- you shut me out."

"Liza, I-"

"No," she interrupted. "I've been trying to get back to normal. I can't be dragged back into that again-"

"I let Camille go free," Simon interrupted. "I need you to talk to Raphael."

"That's why you're calling?" Elizabeth scoffed. "You ignored me for a month, and now that you need my help you call me? That's now how friendships work, Si."

"I'm sorry, Liza. It's been a hard month and- we got Clary's mom back. She's good now."

Elizabeth frowned. "I have to go, Simon," she ended the call and took a deep breath. She had never felt like she was a third wheel in Clary's and Simon's friendship, until now. Simon and Clary were saving Jocelyn, and Elizabeth wasn't being told anything.

"You okay?" Lennox asked when Elizabeth sat back at the table. "You don't have to talk about it, but I do want to know if you're okay." Elizabeth nodded. "You sure?"

"Not having Simon or Clary at the school anymore is showing me we were only friends when they were here," Elizabeth responded. "They've been busy with other things, and I just feel left behind, I guess."

Two cups of coffee was set between the two of them, they thanked the waiter as he walked away.

"They're going to lose a great friend if they're ignoring you," Lennox stated. "You're an amazing person, Liza."

Elizabeth blushed, but hid it as she took a sip of her warm coffee. She was thankful it wasn't scolding hot. Her attention was taken by her phone ringing again. Clary lit up on the screen. She declined the call.

"Did you hear about Tessa and Derek-? They're not going to stop calling, are they?"

Elizabeth looked at her phone, it was from an unknown number. She sighed, and asked for a moment. She answered the unknown caller. "I'm not going to help you or anyone of your friends. I'm just a high school student with a normal life. Leave me alone," she hung up.

"It's okay if you want to help them," Lennox assured Elizabeth. "I was just lying about needing help with physics. You've been friends with Simon and Clary for years, if they need your help, go help them. I understand."

"It's- what the hell," Elizabeth looked outside the coffee shop, seeing three familiar figures. "Thanks for understanding, Nox. I'll call you later."

Quickly, Elizabeth gathered her stuff and shoved them in her backpack before walking out of the coffee shop.

"You know if someone ignores your phone calls, it usually means they don't want to talk to you," Elizabeth said as she walked up to Clary, Jace and Alec. "Hi, Alec."

"I tried to tell them," Alec told Elizabeth. "They wouldn't listen."

"Clary does have a thing for not listening to anyone but herself," Elizabeth responded. She turned to Clary. "You and Simon have ignored me for an entire month. I spent my birthday without my friends, no calls or texts for a month. It's honestly the least the two of you could do."

"You don't know how hard these past weeks have been for me, Liza," Clary added. "We just got my mom back, and my dad isn't dead and he's still- whatever, Simon's in trouble."

"He let Camille go free, I already knew that. It was pretty idiotic of him to do that," Elizabeth stated. "Raphael wanted to go after him-"

"You're still talking to him?" Clary interrupted.

"Hey, let's get back on topic," Alec cut in.

"Why are you standing up for the mundane?" Jace questioned Alec.

"It's on topic! Raphael left Simon to die- without a clan Simon could-"

"He wanted to kill Simon for setting Camille free," Elizabeth interrupted Clary. "I talked him out of it, he was so angry and couldn't see reason. You guys were lucky I was already going to talk to Raphael and was able to calm him down."

"I don't think you should be talking to Raphael," Clary said. "He's dangerous, Liza."

"I could say the same thing about him," Elizabeth looked at Jace. "If I wasn't a mundane, and I was a werewolf or vampire, he would already have his sword in me."

"That's not-"

"I think that's enough," Alec said. "I said it was a bad idea to bombard you like this, Elizabeth. But as you can see, they're desperate and-"

"Are you two friends now?" Clary questioned, looking between Elizabeth and Alec. During the past month, the two had gotten closer, by complaining about Clary and Simon. "You continue to amaze me, Liza. What's next, being friends with a werewolf?"

"What is up with you?" Elizabeth asked. "I have always been there for you! And the one time I don't want to drop everything and help you, you instantly forget all the times we've been there for you."

"This isn't about being there for me. It's about being there for Simon!" Clary yelled.

"Have you been listening to what I've been saying? I already talked to Raphael. I did what I could, and now he won't go after Simon like he wanted to! I helped him even though you two ignored me for weeks!" Elizabeth shouted.

"Elizabeth!"

Elizabeth whipped her head towards where Lennox stood. Elizabeth silently groaned, she must've looked like she was yelling at the wall in an alley. Alec had explained to her that if she had seen them once, she could start seeing them even if they had a glamour on.

"There you are, I've been looking for you everywhere!" Lennox lied, glancing at the two shadowhunters and Clary. "They're not bothering you, are they?"

Lennox can see them? Elizabeth thought. But instead of bringing attention to it, she answered Lennox's question. "I can handle myself," she looked to Jace and Clary. "Let's go, Nox."

Elizabeth walked from the three of them with her arm intwined with Lennox's. She had questions running through her head. Most of them wondering why her new friend could see the shadowhunters.

almost forgot to update

thoughts?