chapter two

c h a p t e r t w o ; rescue mission

Elizabeth had been grounded. It seemed childish because her two best friends couldn't be grounded, because they were both legally adults and their parents rarely grounded them either. Elizabeth was still seventeen and was going into her senior year of high school in three weeks.

Elizabeth stared at her ceiling. No one had answered her emails (that she sent from her tablet she had gotten back in junior high) because that was the only way she could get a hold of Simon and Clary. Her phone was in her father's car while he went to visit his mother at the nursing home. Elizabeth declined to visit. She wanted to wallow in her own self pity.

But this was all a week ago, her sentence was almost up. Simon had eventually responded to her many emails, and sent his apologies. He felt it was his fault she was grounded, she told him it wasn't. She couldn't blame Simon.

"I need school supplies," Elizabeth stated as she walked into her families living room. "Simon's taking me, and I will be back before dinner."

"You'll be back sometime after midnight again," Elizabeth's brother, Manuel, stated. Elizabeth glared at her older brother.

"Do you need any money, mija?" Elizabeth's dad asked. Elizabeth shrugged, not wanting to say yes or no. He pulled out his wallet and handed over a hundred dollar bill to his daughter.

"Dad, I need school supplies too," Manuel added.

"Mijo, you already graduated high school and we're already paying for your college," their dad responded. Elizabeth laughed, before giving her dad a hug.

Elizabeth's phone dinged and she read the text.

simon: we have plans tonight. Ask if you can spend the night at Clary's. It's important.

Elizabeth responded back with an 'okay'. She met her mother in the kitchen. It was a Saturday, so everyone was home from work. "Mom, I was going to go get some school supplies but Clary just texted and wanted to do a sleepover with me, her, Maureen and Simon before we all get busy with school. Can I stay at Clary's tonight? Her mom's always there, and I think Luke has been staying over, too. He's the cop-"

"I want you to text me every hour. And before you go to sleep, and when you wake up," her mother gave in. "I trust you, but you're still my little girl."

"Thanks, mom," she hugged her mother. Did Elizabeth feel bad for lying? A little bit, but she was happy to get out of the house. It was less than two weeks for her eighteenth birthday, but three weeks until her senior year started.

Simon knocked on the front door, and was greeted by Manuel. "Lizzie, it's your nerdy boy friend!"

"Hello to you, Manny," Simon responded. "Hi, Mr and Mrs Santiago. Clary and Maureen are-"

"See you guys later! Los quiero mucho!" Elizabeth interrupted grabbing Simon by the arm leading him out of the apartment before he could ramble and spill whatever he wanted to keep a secret.

"Thank you," Simon said. "Your parents scares me. Your brother, not so much."

"He's more annoying than anything. Now, what's so important?"

"Clary's missing, and so is her mom," Simon said when they sat in his van. "I tracked Clary's phone but I haven't went there yet. It's an abandoned church."

"Ay, dios mio. Really, Si? I'm not going to an abandoned church, that's where the demons are," Elizabeth responded.

"Clary's our best friend, she could be in trouble. You can either join me, or tell your parents you lied about going to Clary's house."