Chapter 2: Boss of Red Leaf Inn

"Miss Ash!" Jill called out cheerfully.

Ashera turns around to look at the stairs to see the young girl hopping down the stairs. Jill sits right across Ashera and grins. "The boss will be coming down soon, so get ready to answer a few questions."

"Of course, thank you for giving me this opportunity Jill."

"No worries! If you need anything, I'll be by my table!" Jill left and went back to her work. Ashera swayed her legs a bit out of boredom and waited patiently for the boss. She examined the wooden table and let her hands wander around the nicely carved table.

"Excuse me, are you Miss Ash?"

Ashera looked up to find a handsome and tall man. Black hair and red eyes, in a simple vest and dark undershirt. Ashera nods at him and smiles. "Yes, are you the boss of this Inn?"

The man nods and sits down across her. "Yes. My name is Royce. I heard from Jill that you wanted to settle in our village and find work. Luckily for you, we're short on staff. Our waitress quit recently because she'll be moving out with her husband. The job is yours, but I'll have to ask you a few questions first."

And he said all of this with a blank expression.

Ashera maintained her polite smiles. "Yes, please ask away."

"First question, do you have any health problems? Illnesses and such?"

"No, I am perfectly healthy." Well, I am pregnant, but...

"Good. Second question, do you know how to cook?"

"Yes I do."

"Good. Kitchen staff will need help from time to time, especially when the tavern's loaded in the evening. Third, where did you come from?"

"I am from the Elven kingdom, however, I am a traveler and left the kingdom long ago to discover the world. I journey from village to village and wanted to settle down. I found that this peaceful village is perfect."

"Why won't you return to the Elven Kingdom?"

Ashera almost slipped up. "It's because I wish to interact with humans more. And the Elven kingdom doesn't feel like home to me."

Royce was quiet for a moment before proceeding to the next question. "Alright then. I won't ask anymore. We're really short on staff, so I'll have to count on you got it?"

Despite his blank expression, he seemed really desperate for workers. Haha, Ashera chuckles mentally. "Thank you boss."

"You'll begin working later in the afternoon. I want you to settle down first and I'll send Jill to give you your uniform. If you have any questions, feel free to ask her. She'll answer them. If you have concerns, you can talk to me."

"Thank you boss."

"Do you have any questions before I leave?"

"..."

Ashera thought about it.

"None?"

"..."

"I'm sorry, I don't have much time. I need to get back to work so-"

"The truth is boss. I am pregnant."

"...What?" It took a second for him to reply.

Ashera decided that it would be problematic if she hid this fact from them, but she hoped she could continue to stay in the Inn. "Boss, even though I am pregnant, please let me work here. I need to support my child when it comes. Please give me this chance."

Ashera asked him, bowing her head.

"..."

Royce was silent.

"..."

Please let me have this job!

"Boss, elf pregnancies work differently than humans. I can assure you, my pregnancy will not hinder my work and I will be safe."

"...Fine. I'll let you stay in my Inn. I won't ask anything about your pregnancy. Just make sure to do your job. I'll tell Jill about this."

Ashera's heavy heart lightens in relief. "Thank you so much boss."

"Now go to your room and settle yourself."

"Yes! Thank you again!"

And that's how Ashera got a job at Red Leaf Inn.

~~~~~~~~~

And....Our guy has arrived! WOOO!! I'm so excited to introduce Royce. I hope you guys like him in future chapters. Here's the question. Is he the First male lead or second male lead? Hehe~That will all be revealed soon!