Marchioness Francis Phantomhive-Midford

Start from the beginning

"I was assigned a case about murdered homeless children," Y/N held up her case file, and almost dropped it in her panic, "Lord Randall insisted I get a second opinion before we arrested the suspect but obviously you're very busy today. I'll just come back tomorrow and we can wrap it up then!" Y/N was already halfway down the stairs before someone called out to her.

"Wait!" It was Lady Elizabeth. "Haven't we met before?" Y/N turned around and racked her brain for when they could've met.

"Perhaps we did. Wasn't it at Madam Red's funeral?" She could remember her from the rose petal display.

"Yes! You had the most interesting makeup on! And the petals you helped set in the breeze were absolutely gorgeous!" Y/N nervously blushed and giggled while she thanked Lady Elizabeth.

"You're too kind, milady! You looked like a princess yourself! I am," Y/N paused, remembering that Ciel wasn't the only one who lost an aunt, "Truly sorry, for the loss of your aunt. I'm sure she loved you very much."

"Thank you," Elizabeth looked slightly downcast at the mention of her aunt's passing, "She would've loved what you had done for her."

"How did someone," The Marchioness looked Y/N up and down once more, "of your status come to know Madam Red?"

"Marchioness Midford," Y/N didn't dare raise her voice, though the question offended her greatly, "Madam Red became a key point on my investigation of Jack the Ripper. I doubt that without her help, I wouldn't have been able to help Earl Phantomhive in our disposal of the Ripper. The least I could do was attend the funeral."

"You helped Ciel?" Lady Elizabeth made her way over to Y/N as fast as lightning. She began looking her up and down. Her question wasn't an insult. She was fascinated with Y/N now. 

"Elizabeth!" The young girl jumped in her skin. Her mother began to reprimand her while Y/N insisted that Elizabeth had caused her no discomfort.

"I assure you, Marchioness, it's no trouble at all! I began to work with Earl Phantomhive on the Jack the Ripper case not too long ago. Any questions you have to ask, I'd love to answer!"

"I'm afraid we don't have time for that," Ciel interrupted nervously, "Perhaps another time!"

"Yes, I should really get going so you all may get on with your intended visit. I apologize once more for my surprise visit, it won't happen again!" Y/n turned once more to leave but was stopped once more, this time by the Marchioness.

"Didn't you say something about dead homeless children?"

"Hm? Oh, yes Marchioness, I did. It's the case I'm currently working on. Lord Randall doesn't trust my judgement because I'm a woman of lower status. He simply holds doubts because of his simplistic views and insists I get a second opinion from a man before we make an arrest." Y/N remembered that Marchioness Midford was very supportive of feminism.

"Then perhaps you should stay. Murder is not to be taken lightly."

"I assure you, I have another friend I can speak to about this. He's an inspector, so it should be good enough for Randall." Y/N bowed once more before she went to leave for a third time when she was stopped yet again. The Marchioness gripped her arm and began fixing up Y/N. She pulled back her hair into a braid, straightened Y/N's posture, pulled her shirt so it would lay flatter and so on until Y/N looked like a proper lady. 

Once she finished, the Marchioness stepped back to look at her work. "That should help you earn more respect. You look much more professional. Though any proper lady should be in more fitting attire." There it was: Marchioness Midford hardly ever complimented anyone without delivering an insult to follow. Or just insulted them flat out. 

"I promise you, I'll attain proper attire once I receive my next payment. And Lady Elizabeth, anytime you wish to discuss something with me, just ask the young Earl to call on me. I'll come running faster than lightning strikes." Y/N was walked back to her carriage by Sebastian. He appeared thankful for what little distraction Y/N had been able to provide them. "By the way, Sebastian," Y/N said loud enough for everyone else to hear, "You look positively lecherous!" She had never seen the demon look so terrified as Marchioness Midford shouted about how she agreed and began to yank Sebastian's hair. Y/N cackled in her carriage as she was driven away, leaving the two men suffering in her wake. 

"You really are the largest inconvenience I've ever suffered in my entire life," Ciel sighed as he sipped a cup of tea.

"Well that says something. I'm really making something for myself then! Mom would be so proud!" Y/N giggled as she set down her own cup.

"It would be so much more believable if you told me it was you who crawled out of Hell rather than Sebastian. I would believe it if I wasn't a witness."

"Well according to that Reaper, I'm not even from this world, so who knows? Maybe I'm just from a different layer of Hell," Ciel rolled his eyes, Sebastian smirked and Y/N laughed at her own joke. "But in all seriousness, you'll get that letter done? That man is killing the homeless."

"Yes, it'll be a chore though. Should I also include something about Randall needing to know his place? Questioning the intelligence or integrity of the Queen's associates isn't something that should be done lightly. It's insulting. Plus, it's a waste of my time to have to confirm all of your conclusions."

"That it is. You know what else is a chore? Having to travel from the Pub to your town house and manor. I'm running low on change here, so unless you want to make a hefty donation or move downtown and give up this lifestyle, we gotta change something." Y/N knew what she was asking, and willing to give up. If she moved in with Ciel she would probably have to do some work around the manor, and she wouldn't be able to see Alice and Christopher as much or at all. But there were also many gains: she and Ciel wouldn't have to travel as much to meet, all of their information would be in once confined place, and Y/N would be able to insert herself into the stroyline much sooner. 

"I'm sure there's a much easier-"

"Sure it could be easier, but can you think of anything else right now? I can't, at least not something with as many quick benefits. I'll help around if that's what you want, though I feel like that'll make Sebastian's life harder. Think of the gains, kid! We won't have to bounce back and forth everywhere, all our information will be in one place and I can help Sebastian provide almost 24/7 protection." Y/N took another sip of tea as she watched Ciel weigh the options. The Earl looked utterly defeated. She had some valid points and he was getting tired of her constant letters informing him of an upcoming visit.

He finally sighed, "Fine, you can start getting adjusted in one of the extra servant's quarters. The one next to Mey-Rin's should do fine. Sebastian, begin making it suitable at once."

"Of course, my lord."

"Thank you both so much, I promise I won't be a huge pain!" Y/N was feeling giddy now that she knew she would not only be living with Ciel, but Mey-Rin would be her neighbor! Y/N had made a point to try and befriend the jumpy maid, but she just got so nervous when Y/N addressed her that she broke whatever she was holding.

"Why do I feel like you're going to break that promise?"

"Because, Sebastian, you're still bitchy about yesterday. You're just mad that I pointed it out." Y/N sipped her tea with as much sass and sarcasm she could muster without laughing.

"I'd like to see you deal with the Marchioness fixing your hair, milady. You could certainly use it." They had begun bickering more and more, and Y/N wouldn't lie; she enjoyed their warped 'friendship' more than she first thought she would.

"I did, I'm just not the man whore of this estate!" Y/N hopped up before anyone could say anything else, "Well, gotta go pack! See you tomorrow!" And with that she was out the study door and down the staircase. She laughed as she made her way down to her ride back to the pub. After she calmed down, she thought about how she was going to explain her leaving to Alice and Christopher. It wouldn't be a fun time.

"All three of them are gonna kill me: Alice for leaving, Ciel because I'm annoying, and Sebastian just for fun!"