Chapter 1

The day was gray and heavy. The two younger brothers of the Schmutzler family spent the whole car ride in a nervous silence, grasping each other hands, not knowing where they were heading. Once Ivy finally stopped the car and told them to get out they couldn't make out where they were.

A dark and frightening forest surrounded them. In the middle of the spine-chilling trees, there was a path. The three of them followed it until they found what looked like a school.

Ivy knocked on the door and a bang echoed inside their bones. 

"Hello Mrs Schmutzler. How do you like the place?" said a deep female voice. 

"Just as pleasant as I had imagine. It's perfect".

"And are those the children we talked over the phone?".

The children finally looked up just to find the darkest eyes they had ever seen. The woman was as tall and thin as the trees that surrounded them. Her black hair, in a perfect bun, matched the dark uniform she was wearing. Another shiver down their spines.

"Yes, meet Terry, the older one, and Ryan" said Ivy.

Terry gathered just enough courage to bawl "What the hell is happening Ivy? Where are we?".

Ivy disregarded him quickly "Shut up. U do as I say and everything will be alright. Now, go on, get inside".

"No!" both brothers roared. Ryan added "You said we'd meet Lily. What does this have to do with her?".

"Child, didn't I say we are friends? And what do friends do? They trust each other. Now get in there immediately, and you'll understand everything".

The brothers looked at each other searching for answers. They both sighed and went up, passing through the big doors.

"The children will be able to leave in two months to visit the family"

"Two months?" Ivy almost seemed shocked. "Make it a year" she said as she laughed.

The head of the institute nodded and dismissed herself.

She turned around to find the two brothers heading to their rooms. She followed them."Terry, Ryan, my name is Mrs Mercedez. I am the one to fear inside here. You shall not speak unless spoken to. You shall not laugh or make any annoying sounds. You shall do as you're told and you shall not get into any trouble with the rest of the boys. And you shall not leave the institute."

Terry asked "But what is this place?"

Mrs Mercedez answered "This is the Broken Puppet Orphanage"

"ORPHANAGE?" Both brothers were alarmed. Yes, their parents had died many years ago. Their older brother was the one who raised them, and since he passed away, Ivy, his legal wife, was responsible for them. They should have known not to trust her. 

She hated them, and so did they. After everything she had done to the family, how could they not?