trenta

After the flash, my vision was dazed and the pain in my arm was horrific. I crawled towards the nearest rock and let out a heavy, shaken breath once my back hit it. Not being able to see clearly, I couldn't make out if everyone was alright or not but I did see Thanos and his army start disintegrating into dust. My left arm was on fire, so I risked a look down at it and the sight made me choke on my own vomit. It was awful , the muscles and tendons were on show but not clear as my arm was black and rusted from the power of the gauntlet. There was a ringing in my ears, small and distant but still there. It wasn't enough to drown out the few sighs of reliefs and claps from the others, happy with the victory.

The pain in my head was making it extremely difficult to keep my eyes open. Was I about to die? I don't know. It didn't seem like the worst thing in the world but when a pair of green eyes appeared in front of me, there was nothing more I wanted than to stay here. I followed her eyes and seen how they widened at the state of my arm and then they matched back to mine, a few tears settling in them. Maybe I was about to die.

"Hey... stay with me... Evelina... please" she muttered, her hand reaching up and touching the side of my face.

"Nat..." I manage to whisper, throat husky and rough.

"Yeah... it's me. We won. You have to fight for me... don't lose at the very end, sweetheart" she pleaded and I gulped and turned to see the others coming towards me. Tony fell to my left side, getting F.R.I.D.A.Y to asses the damage and my vitals, Peter collapsing to my right, tears in his eyes. Bucky and Steve were still holding hands but Bucky's was shaking.

"Vitals are unstable and unrepairable damage to the left arm. Treatment needed immediately, however, there is still a chance survival may not be possible."

That was the AI's verdict and I would say she was pretty accurate. Tony cursed and turned to Nat.

"I can fly her to the nearest hospital, maybe Rhodey could fly you over."

Nat nods and pats Peter's back as she stands up allowing Tony space to pick me up.

"Come on... let's get you fixed," he picks me up and smiles weakly to the others before shooting off into the sky, "when were you going to tell me your name, huh? Evelina... I like it."

My feet are dangling thousands of feet in the sky and if I wasn't so close to an unending sleep, I would of threw up. The rest of the city looked okay, lots of traffic fleeing from the direction of where the fight was. I can only hope there was no casualties.

We landed at the hospital and Tony pushed everyone out of the way, screaming and shouting for doctors to come help, explaining as much as he could, my healing and strengths. I wasn't cut out for surviving this, no matter how enhanced I am.

"Nat... I want my..." I start mumbling as I'm placed on a bed, wheeled away through corridors. All I could see was the flicker of lights on the ceiling, no green eyes, no brown ones. Alone. If I was going to die, this wasn't the way. I have... I have a family now. Willow.... Elijah... Nat, Tony and Pepper and of course my little goddaughter, Morgan. I actually have people to live for, to create memories with, to be happy with. That's what I wanted... happiness. And that's what I fell asleep thinking about. A lifetime of happiness with my family.

/*/

Nat and Tony sat in the waiting room, silent and still bruised, dirty and bloody from the fight. Eventually, the others started arriving, Peter cuddling into Tony's side and Wanda and Pietro trying to comfort Natasha but there was only one person who could do that.

The only information they had was that Evelina was in emergency surgery and that was about an hour ago. No more news. Everyone was calling her Evelina now. No more Ombra... that person was gone... Evelina and Ombra were two completely different people.

Natasha was beside herself in worry. The different scenarios played through her head constantly, Evelina was going to snap on her own and if she did that... Nat would still be mourning on the battle field. The unity and braveness from everyone to snap together was heart-warming at such a scary time, she was thankful to everyone for not letting her girlfriend go through that on her own.

Pepper had left to get the kids, Morgan and her two children as well. It was no place for them to be but if they had to say bye... they had to be there. The four of them came in, Morgan holding her mothers hand, then sprinting over to hug her dad. He embraced her so tightly, pulling her onto his lap. Peter pulled away with a confused face and Tony smiled a little.

"Hey Morgan... this is your older brother I was telling you about" he says, tapping her shoulder to get her attention. She frowns and turns to Peter who has so much emotion on his face, he was crying with a smile. Morgan crawls across Tony's lap and wraps her small arms around Peter who is stunned for a second before hugging her back.

While that's happening, Willow and Elijah run over to Nat and pause in front of her. She gives them her best smile and they both climb onto her lap, one on each, staying silent.

After another half an hour, a doctor comes out and calls for the family of Evelina Rivera. Every single Avenger stands up and the doctor's eyes widen at the sight of them all. Nat and Tony are the first ones over to him.

"We did what we could..."

Nat zones out, she's heard this in films. That's how they always start. Did all they could. In other words, she was gone. Evelina was gone. She was actually gone. Natasha became numb, she couldn't feel or hear anything, her legs feeling like jelly, she collapsed to the floor. Her hands reach her face and her knees cave into her chest. No more kisses, no more hugs, no more compliments, no more laughter, no more family. She was alone once again. How could she ever think someone like her deserved someone as special, as perfect, as Evelina. Just like that the present was no longer and all she had was memories.

Those beautiful eyes will never match with hers again, but then again, every match dies out. She was glad it happened but distraught that it wasn't meant to last. All Evelina did since she met her, was express her love and affection for Nat. No one had ever shown her such kindness, no one has ever made her so soft, so human.

She got up, craving to see her gorgeous scarred face one more time. Nat pushed past everyone who tried to hold her back but no one would stop her, they couldn't. It was like walking in slow motion, the build up to getting to the room her love was stationed in. Hitting the doctors out the way, she pushed the door opened and halted when it shut behind her. Lying peacefully on the bed was her Evelina, out of her combat gear and instead in a gown. Her brown hair was out of its bun, spread fairly on the pillow. No movement, no noise.

Her left arm was gone, that was clear. So they had tried, must of been blood loss or maybe she wanted to go. Maybe she stopped fighting, it was to much. Nat approached her side, sitting in the chair next to the bed, lightly touching her lovers hand. Slowly, she was beginning to become aware of the noise, of her surroundings. Attached to Evelina's hand was an Intravenous antibiotic, that was linked to a machine as well as wires running out from her chest, also linked to a machine. Only then did she realise there was a beeping noise, only then did she realise that her Evelina was still alive.

"We don't know how long she will be out, could be days, could be weeks, could be months. We are confident she will come around eventually but you never know with her... enhanced abilities. Mr Stark has requested for her transfer to his medical wing so some of our best doctors will keep an eye on her there" said the doctors voice behind her.

A coma. She was in a coma.

Nat felt all the numbness leave her body but her heart still ached at the thought of her not being here. They were close, close to being a family.

OKAY.

I CRIED WRITING THIS.

I'LL BE HONEST.

I WASN'T GOING TO DO ANY OF THIS BUT MY FINGERS JUST TYPED IN THIS DIRECTION.

MORE HONESTY, I WAS GOING TO KILL HER BECAUSE I ENJOY STORIES WITH AN UNEXPECTED TWIST BUT I JUST LOVE THE THOUGHT OF HAPPY FAMILY MOMENTS SO I COULND'T.

I COULD END THE STORY HERE BUT LET ME KNOW IF USE WANT MORE CHAPTERS.