Caught in Between

'So do what I tell you to do.'

These words resonated through the mind of the woman who felt everything and nothing at the same time. The thought of having her fiance killed because of what she wanted to do was just too much, and she actually wanted out of this game.

Yeo Bin never wanted to be entangled in this game, if not for what she thought she felt after all these years.

Eon Jin, as she fondly calls the actress since they went to the same high school, was a runaway darling of everyone. She was a regular student, she hung out with friends, sometimes getting home a bit late and slept in class once or twice. Thrice even. Yet, she still manages to do things the right way and succeed in it. 

'How do you manage to do those?' Yeo Bin found herself asking her friend one afternoon after classes.

'What did I do?' Eon Jin asked, surprised at what she just mentioned. 

'That one,' she replied. 'We went home late yesterday after hanging out at the cafe, then you aced that exam.'

Eon Jin smiled at her and told her that she studied the moment she got home. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Yeo Bin thought that she was bluffing, but decided to let it slide. For all the times that they went out together with their other friends including Mi Ri, she thought that there must be something else that she was doing. But there was actually none. 

'You know me, Eon Jin. I study hard, especially when Abeoji tells me to do so. I always follow what they say, but then I can never ace an exam. I envy you at some point,' she replied while they were walking back to the cafe.

The latter stopped walking and stood still. 'Unnie,' she said. 'Don't be. I am a regular student and you know that very well. Even Mi Ri knows that, my parents do likewise. But I respect you for studying hard, there is nothing wrong with that.'

She was not convinced but she acted like she was. She held Eon Jin's arm, and that very moment, a weird feeling crept up in her heart. Little by little, a resentment built up in there, and before she knew it, it had already consumed her. She looked too friendly outside, but she had issues about her on the inside.

The cool breeze in the middle of summer was like an oasis in the middle of the desert. But just like it, once you get out of the oasis, the sweltering heat returns, melting everything that it would definitely touch. While Yejin was out in the field playing with her instructor, Yeo Bin was looking from a distance. Whether or not she would carry on with the mission was out of the question, when she learned that Min Woo made a threat about Jun Hyeong.

'Hi Eonjin,' she recalled she said on her phone call yesterday with the actress. 'I was wondering if I could visit you tomorrow.'

Yejin on the other line told her that they would be out the following day with her husband, so they scheduled to meet on another day and place. She agreed, and because Min Woo held her by the neck, she told him about what happened. 

'Good, be there at the club tomorrow. You know where to go, I arranged that for you, remember?' the man said. And even when she wanted so much to stop this game already, she just couldn't do so. They went in for a dive so far that it was almost hard to swim back up. And when she asked him if this was already too much, all she got was another threat from him.

It always looked that way since she decided to call it quits.

While looking at her friend playing on the field, she couldn't help but another surge of resentment towards her. Even when she knew that it was never Yejin's fault, she became too clouded by emotions as she knew what Min Woo is capable of. He can pull strings she never thought he would. Remembering how he organized that reunion in just a few weeks was a testimony of how much he could do with a flick of his finger.