4

"I feel magic, even when I'm tired and overwhelmed," -Imagine by Key

---------

"Okay, but I can't believe I got picked-"
"That was nerve wracking."
"I'm really glad I got into the final lineup, though."
"Same!"
"Yeah, but now we need to get practicing."
"I'd rather not somehow make a huge mistake at the event, so yeah, let's run through the score a few times."

The violinists were still in the practice room, celebrating that they had made the cut; that was, until they realized that it would probably be smart to use their time being productive so their future rehearsals with WayV would go as smoothly as possible.

Dongmei was sitting in the group. (Kun had already joined the boys at this point.) Internally, she was still celebrating that she had gotten picked, especially for a performance where she could earn money.

However, on the outside, she was just sitting in her chair, pretending to tune her violin even though it was already perfectly in tune. This was mostly because she had tuned it for the audition and was feeling quite awkward with no one to talk to, and pretending to be busy was always a solution.

The girl in the seat next to her gave her a sympathetic look, seeing that the girl had been tuning for ten minutes already. She held out her phone with a tuning app open. "Did you forget your tuner? You can use mine if you want."

"No thank you, I'm alright," Dongmei responded, waving her hand. "It's already in tune."

Her stand partner shrugged, before realizing what she had just said. "Wait... How on earth? You don't have your tuner or phone out... Oh, do you have perfect pitch?"

"Yeah," Dongmei responded nonchalantly, as if it was nothing. She was used to these over the top reactions already, the reactions that she got every time someone spotted her tuning without a tuner or a phone.

"Wait, that's so cool," the girl said. She turned to her side, tapping another violinist on the shoulder. "Look, my stand partner has perfect pitch!"

The other girl stopped talking with her own stand partner, her eyes wide. "Wow, you're so lucky. So you could just tune it from her tuned violin?"

"I mean, I guess so, if she let me," Dongmei's stand partner responded. Glancing at Dongmei and seeing her nod, she corrected herself, "Yeah, I could just do that."

Suddenly, Dongmei caught movement out of the corner of her eye. The conductor had lifted her hands. The room went silent, all conversation dying down. The conductor nodded with approval, signaling for the strings to play and make sure they were still in tune.

"Here we go. Let's run through the score a few times," the conductor suggested, her voice resonating through the large room.

She lifted her arms again, prompting the musicians into their respective playing positions. She counted a few beats out loud to set the pace, and then with a cue from her, the percussionists began to play.

Dongmei, who had been selected to play first violin, was counting the measures of rest, knowing that it would look good if she came in on time. Luckily, the fact that she had run through the score a few times was helping her to calm down.

Then she counted the last beat of rest, and it was time for her to come in. Her bow struck the strings, and then she was playing, the sound emitted from her violin blending with those of the other instruments.

The combined music was beautiful, each of the musicians doing their part to create it. Dongmei's part was neither important nor the melody, but she played as well as she always did, putting in full effort, just like the rest of the orchestra.

The remainder of the rehearsal went fairly smoothly. There were a few mess ups, but none of them were too serious.

>>><<<

"Well, that was kinda fun," Xiaojun commented, taking a sip from his water bottle.

WayV was hanging out together after the selection and rehearsal. They had another schedule soon, but for the time being, they were taking a break to catch their breaths before getting back to work.

Obviously, the main topics of conversation had to do with the events that had just happened. Everyone had plenty to say about the talented musicians who had attended. And, WayV being WayV, the discussion was held in a rather chaotic manner.

"Yeah, it was fun."
"It's amazing that SM let us pick, though."
"I feel bad for the people who got eliminated-"
"So many people attended."
"Obviously they wanted to play for us-"
"Yeah yeah yeah, but they were all really good."

The conversation continued, with the boys discussing how interesting of an event it was.

"We've never really done an orchestra thing like this, right?"
"Mhm, it's super different."
"I wonder how it's going to go."
"It'll be fine. The musicians are professional and we're professional, right? It'll be a nice collaboration."
"We get it Kun-"

"But that perfect pitch violinist was super nice," the leader of WayV randomly commented. "She was fun to talk to."

Yangyang nodded. "She was pretty." The remark slipped out of his mouth without even passing through his brain. He didn't even realize he had said it until his hyungs turned towards him, smirks on their faces.

"I mean, he's not wrong, she was nice," Kun cut in, saving him from the teasing that was about to ensue. WayV nodded at his words and allowed the topic to drop, moving on to laugh over other things.

However, it didn't leave their maknae's mind. Had he really been thinking about her so much that he had managed to unconsciously say something about her out loud?

The answer was yes. He was still trying to figure out why she looked a little familiar to him, because he still felt that he had seen her somewhere. It was bothering him that he couldn't remember, although he was sure it would come to him sooner or later.

On top of that, it seemed like she was a pretty cool person to him, someone he wanted to get to know better. Even if she wasn't really talking to him, he wanted to get closer to her.

"Alright boys, time to go," their manager called, clapping his hands together. The group nodded, standing up from the bench and following him out of the building.

With that, the girl was wiped from Yangyang's mind, at least for the time being. 

----------

whoaaa development already?