Chapter 32: Flowers And Dates

Start from the beginning

''Then I want us to lay here for half an hour longer.''

A laugh gently shook Katya's body. ''Oh, so now you like your birthday. Just so you can take advantage of it.'' But she tightened her arms around her wife anyway, snuggling Natasha further into her. In response, Natasha's hand slipped under her shirt, tracing the tattoo on her ribcage. She did that a lot since Katya got it. 

''Isn't that the point?''

Katya chuckled again, but how could she withhold Natasha of such a wish when she was so adorable and it was her birthday? So she closed her eyes again and rested her cheek against Natasha's messy hair, not falling asleep again but allowing herself to relax. She listened to the birds, the complete silence outside, and Natasha's quiet breathing.

The minutes easily passed, the gentle moment ending way too soon, because Maya had to get to school.

''What do you want for breakfast?'' Katya whispered when Natasha started to stir after exactly half an hour, muttering the words into her hair, playing with the ends of it.

''I don't want anything to be different just because it's my birthday,'' Natasha lazily protested, breathing the words into her neck. At least she had acknowledged it was her birthday now.

''So you're going to eat your cereal?'' Katya asked skeptically, raising an eyebrow Natasha couldn't see. When she felt her nod, she knew she wouldn't let that happen today. ''Yeah, that's not gonna happen. I think there's still some eggs in the fridge. I'll make you an omelet or something.''

When she moved to get off the bed, Natasha turned around with an annoyed huff, her back facing Katya, who simply chuckled at her behavior.

Leaving a sulking redhead behind, Katya closed the bedroom door behind her and opened the next one. Maya was fast asleep when she sat down on the edge of her bed, gently shaking her awake.

''Hey,'' she whispered, watching the girl's eyes open. Maya was about to groan until she realized what day it was. ''You still got it?''

The girl nodded and scrambled out of bed a hundred times faster than she would on any other given day, an excited smile on her face. Pulling the door of her closet open, Natasha's birthday present stood on the floor. Carefully, she picked it up and showed it to Katya. It still looked great despite making it yesterday.

''She'll love it, I just know,'' Katya smiled. ''I'm gonna make her some breakfast now. Why don't you get ready and I'll call you down when she's down as well?''

Maya nodded happily, putting the gift down and rushing into her bathroom. Katya could only shake her head and chuckle, the warmth in her chest spreading. Sometimes it hit her that this was really her life now. A family, where their daughter got them birthday presents. 

Even the weather played balls today. It was probably cold out, but the sun shone. Like the weather gods knew today was important. As promised, Katya broke some eggs and tried her best on the omelet, smiling to herself so much that she jumped when arms wrapped around her waist from behind, a kiss placed on her shoulder. 

''What are you doing?'' Katya laughed breathlessly, trying to look at the head resting on her shoulder while also making sure the omelets didn't burn, her spatula hanging in the air somewhere above the pans.

''Kissing the cook,'' was Natasha's cheesy answer, her signature smirk playing on her lips already. Katya had to do her best not to cringe at the words.

''I don't see much kissing,'' she countered with her own smirk.

Natasha rolled her eyes, dropping her arms and moving so she stood next to Katya instead, taking her jaw in her hand and turning her head to face her. Her lips cut off the teasing smile on Katya's, kissing her sweetly. The brunette couldn't do much but wrap her free hand - her left - around Natasha's waist to pull her more into her side.