Chapter 10

As promised.... A new chapter! Ok I know its been a long time. Im sorry.

Ive been busy. But im here now.

Enjoy :)

------------------------------------

The next morning I when I wake up I am in less pain than I have been in a long time.

Physically.

Mentally... I am torn apart, broken and ready to say to hell with it all.

My mother's message should have made me feel stronger. But instead it has left me feeling even more lost and confused than ever before.

Mum has always been the smartest person I know but she could not have been more wrong.

I have no allies.

Could she have meant the other girls in my age group? If so then I hate to say it but she is even more wrong.

These girls around me seem like they are good people but most of them are even more broken then me.

I make no move to get up and begin my day's work.

Why should I?

To be tortured some more?

No.

The other girls begin to file out the door to breakfast like ants.

Emotionless, with blank expressions on their faces.

How are they doing it? How are they blocking the pain in their hearts and in their souls enough to keep going?

I do not know. But I just can't seem to find the will to get up.

Im not moving. What's the point?

Im going to die anyway.

Time passes by.

Than more time.

Im not quite sure what they will do to me.

Truthfully I do not care.

For so long I hear nothing. Than suddenly the sound of heavy footsteps in the frightens me.

This is it. This is how and when I will die. I should be more scared. I'm not. At last I will be with my family again.

What's the point of even being free if I have no one out there to be free with. No one is waiting for me. No one will miss me.

Death is the only reprieve.

When the door finally opens I expect Colonel Hoess himself.

Or maybe even one of the other girls coming to retrieve me for punishment.

I take one last deep breath, then lift my head to face whoever has come to retrieve me.

And freeze with shock when I see him.

Damon.

His handsome face is a deadly picture of fury. Its so intense, I am forced to look away.

"Are you stupid or just determined to kill us both! Do you have any clue how much it took for me to come take care of you instead of my father?"

His shouted words confused me.

"Your father?"

"Yes, my father! The man you met the your first day here! The man who runs the place. The man who wants you dead as we speak!"

Suddenly it makes sense why Baab called him prince. It finally makes since why he has so much freedom and power.

How did I not see this before.?

But if he has so much.

Why even bother with me?

"But your so..."

"No. It doesn't matter! I put my very being on the line for you! So do us both a favor and get to work! He has ordered for you to have no food for the rest of the day. Consider yourself lucky that, that is all he ordered."

"Why would you do that? What does it matter if I die? Isnt it obvisous that I dont care anymore, that I want to die?"

I am an idiot.

I know.

At any moment he could have my head for just yelling back at him. Yet here I am screaming at him that I dont care.

Why would he even try to help me? I never asked him to.

What is wrong with this boy?

"Well you should! My-"

"I dont! My family are all gone! They are dead! You father killed them! And you held me down while they screamed for help. While they burned to death in our house. I didnt ask for your help. I would have rather one of the officers come down here and shoot me. I dont want to live! I'm done!"

My voice drops down to a whisper by the time I finsh with my rant.

"I give up. I should be dead."

I watch as the anger disappears from his face. In its place returns that look of sorrow. He crosses the distance between us slowly.

Damon's brown eyes lock with mine as he raises his hand and gently caresses the side of my face.

I can feel his cool breath fan on my face as he whispers his next words.

"Dont say that. Dont give up. Go out there and do as your supposed to. Stay alive. No matter what you may believe now there is hope for you... For us."

His cool hand drops away from my face as quickly as it came. He moves away from me and heads for the door.

Damon stops at the door and turns to look at me with those sad big eyes and says

"I cant save you again."

------------

Comment?

Plz

Vote?

Beth :)