Action

The group of 4 quickly prepared to return. Half of the group carried the packages of food to the truck and the other half got it gassed up.

They had come out here about a week ago to find food for the town as they had run out but because of circumstances, they hadn't been able to return yet.

Today was the last safe day and tomorrow would be the dark night. Since 2 years ago, every month, there is one day that is complete darkness.

In the beginning, no one knew what it was, but then people started killing each other and some became monsters of nightmares. That one day was theirs to rule. Getting caught outside during the dark night meant death and for these teens, they could not have that happen.

Not to them. They each had someone they cared about back in town, and so they had to go right away. "That should be everything." Amelia, the oldest of the teens said loading the last package.

"Is everyone ready to go?" Liam asked getting into the driver's seat.

"Yeah." Everyone said nodding as they climbed aboard.

"Wait!" A voice called from far away. Their heads all turned before they let out a sigh. "God. We don't have time for this." Richie groaned. "Let's just leave him behind. He's useless anyway."

"No way. We can't do that. That's Marcus." A feminine voice said robotically.

"Doesn't matter. He always slows us down." Richie said crossing his arms.

"Richie, don't say that. You know he has the most to lose out of all of us." Amelia said sternly. "And besides, he's always getting helpful things."

"Whatever," Richie muttered crossing his arms as Marcus reached the truck getting in and shutting the door. The wheels spun before the car drove away.

"What did you find this time Marcus?" Lexi asked through the back window.

"A water purifier. You know how the adults have been saying the water isn't safe? Well, I found this purifier a while ago and I've been tweaking it a bit. Look." Marcus pulled out a water bottle with a clear liquid in it.

"Woah," Richie said taking the bottle. "It isn't green?" Amelia said astonished.

"That, is soo cool Marcus! Aren't we glad to have you on our team?" Lexi said overly excited.

"Let's keep the water for later for when we get back home. We'll need someone to test the water though."

"That's fine." Marcus nodded looking ahead as they drove on.