2

Mike sat on the edge of the curb next to Will, holding a can of Coke he grabbed on the way out. He opened it and took a sip before speaking.

"I get why you left the basement when Uno started. So many people coming in at one time makes you feel like a bomb went off in your head." Mike said.

"Yeah." Will responded smiling. The boys both stared at the house across the street, the one that was now where Will, Joyce, El, and Hopper lived.

"I'm glad your mom moved you back here." Mike started, "I don't know what I'd do without you here."

"Yeah. I'm glad too." Will responded, "Kind of sucks living across the street from you though."

"Why is that?" Mike asked.

"You're annoying." Will replied. They both laughed. Mike handed Will the can of Coke, and Will took a sip before handing it back. "How are things with El?"

"It's alright." Mike started, "Hey, when are you gonna get a girlfriend? I'd love to see you settled."

"I don't know.. I guess I just need to find the right person." Will started, kind of looking down a bit. "Also, I'm not that attractive."

"Oh come on, Will. Any girl would be lucky to have you." Mike responded, patting Will's back. Will giggled.

"Thanks." Will started, "Why are things with you and El just 'Alright'?"

"I don't know. I guess we're just focused on different things." Mike replied.

"Hm. Makes sense." Will responded.

"It's just.. the way Richie described his feelings for whats-his-name?" Mike started, using more hand motions than normal.

"Eddie?" Will responded.

"Yeah! Him!" Mike started, "Richie said that Eddie always points him in the right direction. He said when he's with him, he feels like they're the only two there. He says that Eddie makes him feel happy, Eddie makes all of his troubles disappear from his mind for a while. No matter how annoying Richie is or vice versa, Richie's feelings never go away. It was kind of dramatic, the way he described it, but I don't really feel that way with El."

"That doesn't mean you don't love her. Love is sometimes shown in different ways, and I'm pretty sure it's kind of different for your fourteen-year-old cousin." Will responded.

"But.. I have felt that way before, but with someone else." Mike said. Will's eyes widened in shock.

"Holy shit who?" Will asked. There was a long silence.

"Remember Amy from second grade." Mike replied smirking. Will punched his arm.

"Asshole." Will said as they both started laughing. Will took the Coke from Mike's hand and took a sip before giving it back.

"Maybe you're right. I'm probably overthinking." Mike responded. Will nodded as Mike took a sip of the Coke.

"Yeah maybe it's different because.. they're younger? Or something?" Will speculated.

"Maybe, but have you ever felt that way with someone? Like they make all your worries disappear when you're with them?" Mike asked. Will thought about it for a moment, making eye contact with Mike as "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac played from the house.

"Now here you go again, you say you want your freedom."

In that moment, Will knew what feelings he had for Mike. He knew Mike made every worry disappear, he felt that earlier when Mike pulled him from that room and danced with him. But he believed that sometimes it was better to lie to others, and to lie to yourself as well.

"Nope. I've never felt like that with anyone before." Will replied. Mike nodded.

"It's only right that you should play the way you feel it."

"Hopefully love strikes you someday, Byers." Mike said.

"Hopefully." Will responded.

"You will. I'm sure of it." Mike started, "Also, stop with that 'I'm not attractive' nonsense. Girls haven't been able to keep their eyes of you this whole year."

"Thanks, Mike." Will started, "Seriously, who was the other person you felt that for?" Mike handed Will the Coke as he thought about it. Will took a sip as the silence lingered.

"Oh, thunder only happens when it's raining."

"It's not important." Mike started, "What matters is that I'm in a relationship, and for the most part.. I'm happy." Mike tapped Will's arm, signaling him to hand him back the Coke.

"Say, women, they will come and they will go."

"Well that's good, right?" Will asked handing back the Coke. Mike took a sip.

"When the rain washes you clean, you'll know."

"Yeah." He started, "Are you happy?" Will thought about it.

"You'll know."

"I think so. I haven't really gotten over everything that's happened, but right now I'm happy." Will replied. Mike nodded.

"Yeah, all that stuff sucked.." Mike started, "But hopefully we forget about it all someday."

"Yeah." Will responded, "You ready to go back inside?"

"Sure." Mike replied as he took a sip of Coke, "You want the rest?" He put the can of Coke toward Will. Will nodded and reached for the can. As he grabbed it their fingers touched, but neither of them acknowledged it. They both got up and walked back into the house, joining their other friends in the kitchen. Lucas, Dustin, and Max were playing truth or dare as El quietly watched. Dustin was currently downing a bottle of hot sauce, and while Lucas and Max cheered him on, El looked at him in concern. Mike softly kissed El's cheek, as Will watched drinking the can of coke they shared earlier, the song that was playing as their hands touched, still not over yet.

"When the rain washes you clean, you'll know."

He watched as he put his arm around her waist.

"You'll know."

He saw how they looked at each other.

"You will know."

And he wished deep down-

"Oh, you'll know."

That he was her right now.

To be continued..

this shit hella

edit: i reinstated the bowlcut (there was a part where mike mentioned will's bowlcut being gone and i removed it <33) ly guys!