18 | Little Sprout

Start from the beginning

But then, a giant monster appeared and suddenly took away his family, leaving him in despair and alone. The monster was a foul beast known for taking innocent people away, and keeping them locked up for days on end.

The boy, who began to search for the monster and his family, decided to learn how to fight in order to win against the beast in order to save all of the people it took away. Everyone always told the boy that it was futile, and that his family was probably already dead, but he never gave up.

The boy yearned to become stronger, all the way until he was no longer a boy, but a young man capable of defeating the monster.

After many years of training and searching, the boy finally found the monster's nest, as well as all of the people it had captured. He valiantly fought the beast, all the way until its defeat. The boy reunited with his parents, and saved all of the other people who it had captured too. And in the end, he was called a hero for all he had achieved.

This is a pretty typical fairy tale... Irene thought, as Rayvis happily closed the book. "Did you like it? It's a great story, right?"

Irene nodded, deciding to go along with her brother's excitement. "It would be so scary if a monster suddenly took us away," Irene told him, smiling back at Rayvis. "Brother, you would come save us if that happened, right?"

"Of course! Monsters are no match for me, the son of Duke Cherliann!" He proudly declared, before lifting his hands in a claw-like motion. "If a beast like that ever came, you know what I'd do?"

Irene blinked, tilting her head questioningly at the cheeky grin on his face. "What?"

"I would do this!" He exclaimed all of a sudden — before attacking Irene with tickles.

"wHA—!! AhahAHAHA- bROTHER please s-STOP!!" She squirmed, falling back and flailing around in a laughing mess, as Rayvis playfully prodded her.

It was only after Irene wriggled away and jumped onto him, that the siblings childishly wrestled until Rayvis was hugging her tightly from behind, unable to move. The sound of the children laughing echoed through the chamber, until the two finally calmed down.

After a moment of being in her brother's embrace, Irene smiled and turned to face him. "Brother Ray?"

He glanced down at her. "Hm?"

Irene sat upright, turning to face her brother. It was then she placed a small hand on top of his head of soft, silver hair. Rayvis blinked at his sister in slight confusion.

"Don't grow up too fast." She told him, playing with his hair. Her smile was wide, but there was a reticent look in her gold-spun eyes. It felt as if she was looking at the distant future, even though she was still so small. It was moments like this that made Irene feel so mature.

Rayvis blinked. An odd thing to hear, from a girl who was only five years old. But the boy had no clue that in reality, his sister was a wise person who wanted nothing more than for him to be as loving and kind as he always was.

"Pffft-" Rayvis laughed, before grabbing his sister with one arm, trapping her into a headlock and ruffling her short, white hair. "I should be the one telling you that!" He laughed.

This brother of mine... Irene smiled, laughing as Rayvis continued to playfully torment her until the siblings finally decided to go to sleep. Rayvis dropped dead almost as soon as he hit his pillow, but Irene stayed awake for a little longer, ensuring her brother was comfortable and warm.

She never would have imagined the love and tenderness that this family would bring her. The Cherlianns — once a house of enemies to the heroine and hero of her novel, were now the people she would lay down her life for.

Rudien, the once cold-hearted duke, who cared about nothing but his strength and success in wars. Sarah, who had died pitiably early on, because of the grief her husband brought her. Rayvis — the son of the duke who despised his father and blamed him for letting his mother die, becoming an icy knight whose abilities would come to surpass the cruel duke's.

And lastly, Irene. The spoiled brat of the house, who demanded love and attention. The manipulative villainess who would come to meet a tragic death due to her own foolishness.

These characters — no longer existed.

Irene managed to save her family from the bitter path she herself had once written for them. They were no longer the Cherlianns who were scorned as antagonists — but rather, the people who shined brighter than any heroine or male lead ever could.

This family of mine... They are the first people to have embraced me in all my life. Both my past life and now, combined. Irene smiled, closing her eyes as they began to tear up. I'm never going to let go of them. And no matter how many years pass...

   I will guide them to a future of happiness.