The Trial

"DEATH EATER DRACO MALFOY'S AWAITED TRIAL TODAY"

This was the front-page headline for the Daily Prophet that day with a picture of a gaunt-looking Draco Malfoy, escorted by two Aurors to the Ministry of Magic and surrounded by an angry crowd.

The atmosphere in the Wizengamot was tense. Kingsley Shacklebolt, the current Minister of Magic, along with judges and other Council members, in their plum-colored robes, were sat on a raised platform. Order members, including the Golden Trio, and Narcissa Malfoy were in the audience. Everyone had a somber look on their faces except Narcissa, who sat expressionless. After Harry's testimony, it was time to call the man himself in court.

He entered, glancing at his mother as he crossed the room to stand in the dock. This could very well be his last chance to ever explain his side of the story, and he was determined to make it count. He looked up and turned to address the audience, "I am sure most of you here would gladly sentence me to Azkaban, and I agree that several of my actions cannot be justified or forgiven. I am not here to try to convince you that I am some sort of a poor misguided hero. No, I can only hope to make you see my side of the story and understand my reasons."

He took a deep breath.

"The Malfoy name has long been attached with wealth, power, evil. I never really had a chance, did I? What with being born on the wrong side of the war, in a family hated by the Light. You believe the world to be black and white, good and evil, death eaters and non-death eaters. Honestly, that would have been so easy for me because I have spent years in the grey. My whole life, I grew up looking up to my family, idolizing no worshipping my father. I used to see him as strong and powerful, the kind of man I could only dream of becoming. I grew up with a skewed moral compass and a twisted perspective on right and wrong."

He glanced at Granger, "I was taught muggle-borns stole our magic and that soon muggles and muggle-borns would outnumber us if we didn't do anything. I believed that they were a threat to the Wizarding World and that they didn't belong here, that we were far superior to them. All my life, I tried to meet my father's expectations hoping that I would make him proud someday. What a fool I was. It was too late when I saw what was happening. I saw Voldemort reduce my father to a pathetic coward, or maybe he always was one," he frowned, "He dreamed of power while being a mere servant to his master. We were worse than house-elves to him. When my father was sentenced to Azkaban, cracks started showing up in my reality." His eyes held resentment and bitterness. He looked up at Potter, "I pretended everything was fine and that I still believed I was much superior to everyone. It was all I could do to maintain some semblance of normality. Hogwarts was my escape, but it didn't remain for long. I was branded with the Dark Mark that summer." There was an audible gasp as he lifted up his sleeve to reveal the Mark. "It was always expected of me, and though I didn't know it at the time, I was a means to punish my father for his failure to retrieve the prophecy. When the Dark Lord so generously gave me a chance to prove myself, I foolishly thought that it was my chance at recognition from my family and peers," he scoffed mirthlessly.

"That was before he threatened to kill my family and me if I failed at my task, which was to kill Dumbledore by the end of the school term. Everyone knew I was meant to fail and watch my family being killed because of my incompetence. For some time, I fooled myself into thinking that I could do it. There were a lot of sleepless nights and several breakdowns involved.", he looked down, avoiding the knowing eyes of the trio. "I could have confessed to Dumbledore and ask for help, I could have requested Professor Snape for his assistance, but I didn't trust them. How could I when my mother's life was involved?" he looked up at the Minister.

"What I did was unforgivable, and I knew it but did I really have any other choice? When I had Dumbledore at wand-point, I realised I could not kill him or anyone for that matter; I was not a murderer. I had failed, and I thought I had killed my mother," he took a staggering breath, "but somehow Professor Snape convinced You-know-Who not to kill me. After that, Voldemort converted Malfoy Manor into his headquarters." A dark look crossed his eyes, "Trust me, you don't get used to waking up to screams and people being tortured and murdered on your dining table. I saw people I knew, including Professor Burbage, being tortured to death right in front of my eyes, and I was terrified for myself and my mother. I hated him and truly wanted to see him dead. I admit I was a coward, and I wished I had that famous Gryffindor courage and bravery, but I didn't. When Potter was brought to the Manor, I could only refuse to recognize him and possibly bought him some time. My and my mother's safety was all I wanted."

He took a deep breath, " I may be a coward, selfish, spoiled and many other things, but I am not evil. I admit I once saw power and glory in the Dark Lord's reign, but I swear I no longer believe in his despicable view of the world. I am no murderer, and I was forced to attempt the murder of Albus Dumbledore. I am willing to submit my memories, take Veritaserum and undergo Legilimency to cross-check my statements." 

The courtroom was filled with whispers and the faint sobbing of his mother. He finally looked up, put his shaking hands in his pockets and waited for the Council to make its judgement. 

A/n Thank you for reading this! Until next time 👋