Prologue

Author's Note: Hello to all who have started reading prior to July 22. This plot of this story has been completely changed to something that I have a much better idea of how to proceed with. The general tone and theme will be the same, so I think everyone who enjoyed the original storyline will enjoy this one. Please read the description of this story. This "prologue" begins with the main character waking up from being cryonically frozen (frozen with the hopes of avoiding death and being revived by people in the future).

My head hurts.

There is a ringing in my ears. I've been waking up with regular migraines for a while now, but nothing like this.

Damn, it hurts. It hurts so bad I want to scream and pull at my hair. But I feel almost as though I'm separated from my own body, like I'm floating in nothingness. I'm paralyzed. I can't feel my own mouth or arms, much less move them.

I should be dead. But this can't be heaven, if I'm in such pain. It's dark. Am I in hell? No, no, surely not. I wasn't bad enough to go to hell, was I?

It occurs to me that my eyes are closed. But they're so heavy. So, so heavy. I can't open them. Perhaps if I could, it wouldn't be so dark.

Did it . . . did it actually work?

I wasn't expecting it to actually work.

The ache in my head has dulled a little. Slowly, painfully, I try to lift my eyes. They open just a fraction of an inch; the light is blinding. A sharp pain stabs my head; it's pounding once more. My eyes snap quickly shut. I want to rub my head, but I still can't feel my hands.

I become aware of voices around me, speaking a foreign tongue. It's a harsh, guttural language, and it doesn't sound quite like anything I've ever heard before.

The voices are increasing in volume. They're worsening my headache.

It occurs to me these voices have answers. These voices can tell me what's going on. If only I could understand them!

But my thoughts are so foggy and muddled. I'm so tired. I feel as though I'm walking through a dream.

I must communicate with them somehow. I need to know what's going on, where I am. If I'm even alive. I don't even know if I'm alive.

I try again to open my eyes. The light isn't quite so bright. A shadow is blocking it. Millimeter by millimeter, my eyes slowly open. The blurry shadow remains, swimming in my vision as it adjusts.

My heart stops. A face, almost human, but not quite, is staring down at me, eyes wide.

A monster.

Author's Note: Thank you to everyone reading this story. I am hoping to get the next chapter out in a day or two and continue with updates about once a week. I have asked someone to hold me accountable to write a little every day so you can expect better consistency from me.

Writing this scene was tricky. It's hard to balance the muddled mind of someone waking up like this with Diana's need to know what's happened to her. Please let me know what you think of my writing and if you have any suggestions.

<3 Caitlin