| 04. DON'T CRY OVER SPILLED MILK

Start from the beginning

Jax grabbed her arm. "Maybe not, but I came to Avonlea to learn. This would be perfect. Besides, I can't help but feel like you're spoiling me, and—"

"I'm not spoiling you, I'm just making sure that you're receiving proper care. I am your host and don't think your mom would like to hear that Isaac and I are mistreating you."

The brunette felt her heart drop, and she grew quieter. "She would like to hear that I'm being put to work and useful to you, though."

Elle paused, but stayed stubborn. "It's not your responsibility to help me run this place."

"Come on, Elle. This would be a way I could repay you for letting me stay in your house and buying me all of those dresses and school supplies. If it makes you feel better, you can pay me, but I will only accept a small salary." Jax looked up at her. "I'm gonna be a part of your life for quite a while, so why shouldn't I help out at this place?"

Another best of silence passed, and Elle looked down at the freckle-faced girl. It would be nice to have someone around to help out, especially one that she did not have to pay. It would also be nice to finally have a day off. But still, she was worried about the time it would take to train Jax to be able to be left alone with the place. Besides, did she really even want the girl alone in her library? She hardly even knew her. The silence continued as Elle became lost in thought.

"And I know the Dewey Decimal System." Jax added.

"Okay!" Elle relented, climbing down the step stool. "You twisted my arm. You can start today, I suppose."

Jax was surprised by her sudden change in disposition, but she wasn't going to complain. The short blonde gestured to the stool. "With this?"

"Yes," Elle smirked. "and when you get done, you can tell me about your day. So go fast!"

Jax couldn't wait to finally share her day—the inconsiderate teacher, the gossipy girls, and the boy who refused to even meet her.

But when she finally sat down in the front office with Elle, all she could say were lies about how good her day went.

She didn't want to disappoint her, so she kept it bottled up inside.

Miraculously, Jax had managed to make it to school on time the next day. Her and Elle closed the library at seven the night before, going home to prepare dinner for Isaac. Whether he had a good day or not, Jax couldn't tell, as he walked in, surprised at the sight of the tall brunette. She supposed that he still wasn't used to having her around—she couldn't help but notice the dirty looks he was throwing the extra seat at the table.

Perhaps he liked being alone, with only Elle to bother him.

Nevertheless, she entered the schoolhouse in a foul mood, placing her head on her desk as soon as she sat down. She wasn't excited for school due to the horrid people there, nor for going back to Steven, for she still felt unwelcome. She felt quite out of place in Avonlea.

"Hello," Jax heard from beside her, and she lifted her head to the left to see her desk mate with an outstretched hand. "I didn't get to introduce myself yesterday. I'm Mae Fletcher."

Jax simply blinked at the girl in front of her. She had shoulder length blonde hair, but it wasn't the same blonde as the other basic bimbos in their class. It was almost white—pulled back halfway and finished with a ribbon. Her mouth was pulled into a shy smile, white teeth sparkling. She was pretty, but she definitely didn't know it. A light red blush dusted her cheeks and she spoke very quietly. This was the same girl who had run away from her the moment she could. Jax couldn't tell if she left because she was shy or just plain rude.