Six

Immediately, comically, Haden's wolf form falls over like a pig hung from a stick. The ropes bite into his legs, his large paws keeping them in place.

I grab hold of his neck, choking him unconscious then toss him on the bed, back in human form.

In the wee hours of the morning, I drag a half-asleep Haden into the restroom, tying him to the bar by the toilet. Both hands and legs. Then leave to find a job. I pay close attention to scent, careful to avoid werewolf and werewolf frequented establishments.

I find a bar-b-que restaurant looking for a server and manage to get a trial run that day, they're so desperate for help. I leave happy when they tell me to come back tomorrow. I stop at a department store to pick up a few things for Haden. I'm nearly giddy when I find the tear away tracksuit.

My good mood dies when I walk in the bathroom to check on Haden.

He's huddled in the corner by the toilet, his head hanging between his knees. He doesn't move as I enter, just sits there defeated. I ache for his suffering. Though I'm the one causing it. Especially because I'm the cause.

I set the bags by the shower, kneeling in front of him. "You want to take a shower?" I ask.

He nods, not looking up.

I take the silver-plated cuffs from the bag, clamping two pairs on his wrist and ankles before removing the ropes. I cut away his already tattered shirt, then his jeans, so he stands in nothing but his boxers.

My heart races as I begin to cut.

His cuffed hand stops me. "I can handle it from here." He states, still not looking at me.

I nod, leaving the room for him to shower.

He comes out wearing the pull away pants, looking like if Magic Mike went to jail. I take the jacket from his hands, snapping it into place. My heart races with each accidental caress of his skin.

"What is your plan, Bane?"

My breath catches at his use of my name. It's the first time. He's only referred to me specifically when angry as rogue.

"I don't have one." I reply, disarmed.

He looks at me finally, a crease between his brows. Not in anger but in confusion.

"My mom's dead. She's the one that made the plans and even then, it wasn't so much plans as it was just the next step in running. It's all I know how to do. In running you can't plan too far ahead. Things change, you have to be versatile. Ready to change too." I word vomit under his questioning gaze, inexplicably elated that he's looking at me again.

"Why don't you just stop running then?" He asks.

I can't help but laugh. "So, your pack can catch up and butcher me like my mom..." I trail off, the memory of my mom's body rearing it's head. I'd stuffed it down until now. Way down, thinking of her death more in a theoretical sense, like I had growing up, rather than a bloody dismembered one. I run into the bathroom, puking up my complimentary meal from the restaurant.

Cuffs rattle behind me and I flinch, ready for him to pop my head off with the chain of the manacles.

"Just let me go. I'll call them off and you can stop running."

I wasn't ready for that. Like a stab to the guts. 'Just let me go', but I can't.

"Even if I let you go, I'll never be able to stop running, not until I'm a bloody pile of parts on the ground." I reply, staring into the toilet at the upchucked contents of my stomach.

"Why not join a pack?" He asks, chains chiming as he shrugs.

"As horrible as my mother's death was, her life in a pack was worse. You can't see it. You're just another pack wolf that wields their strength against the weak?" I claim disdainfully, spitting up bile.

"I would never." Haden denies indignation raising his voice, the chains rattling as he clinches and unclenches his fists. "The strong are meant to protect the weak."

"Oh yeah, then why did no one protect my mother when my sperm donor raped her, creating me?" I laugh humorlessly, pushing off the toilet and to my feet. I stumble over to the sink and rinse my mouth.

I see Haden flinch in the mirror. "Men can be terrible, when I'm Alpha.."

I stop listening, my blood running cold. I only heard the word a few times when mom talked about that man. I look from Haden to the door in the mirror, recalling where my go- bag is in the room, when my gaze falls upon his face. A self-assured smile rests upon his strong, bold features. Even in shackles he wears a cocky expression. Something snaps in me at the sight.

I watch my eyes darken as they harden like polished wood, reflecting the florescent light of the bathroom with an evil glint, my lips twisting malevolently. "You're Alpha, huh?" I confirm with a humorless chuckle, turning to face him.

"Yes, I'm the future Alpha of the Emerald Moon Pack." He answers, his brow knitting in confusion at my sudden shift in demeanor.

I pull down his manacled arms, knocking his feet out from under him. "You seem to be confused about who's in control here, Alpha," I inform through gritted teeth, "Lick my feet." I order, leaning against the sink and prodding my black sneaker in his face. 

=======================================================

Thank you for reading. Things are about to get interesting so stay tuned.

Do you think Haden will obey?