chapter six - brother dear

"When is Alex coming back?" I asked one of the butlers that lingered around me in the lounge.

"Mr Blaise won't be home for a few hours. He gave us instructions to prepare you food whenever you ask, but nothing too filling. He wants to take you out for dinner tonight"

I sighed, smiling in thanks.
I was pretty tired considering the morning I had already had. My mind couldn't help but wonder when Alex was to return. Somehow, I was beginning to like the attention from him.

There was a sudden knock at the door, echoing through the hallway, followed by a slam that suggested somebody was here.
The butler had left the room, which concerned me a little.

Slowly, I got up and walked out of the lounge, to try and see what was going on at the front of the house.

"He's not here?" I heard a voice ask. "Where can I find him?"

"He didn't specify where he was going, Mr Blaise" replied the butler.

Mr Blaise? I suddenly came to the realisation that it wasn't Alex that had walked through the doors- but his brother he had told me about. The one his ex-wife had left him for.

I walked through the doorway, and was greeted by the abrupt turning of heads.
The mans eyes looked at me up and down, accompanied by a slight smirk but also confused expression. He turned his full body towards me and folded his arms.

Alex's brother looked very similar to him. Slightly lighter hair, but still the same bone structure in the face and his height was close, too. And he wore navy blue suit trousers, the blazer hung over his shoulder.

"Who is this?" he questioned, urgently, but with a slow-dragging tone.

I couldn't even speak for myself.

"Miss Victoria Wood" the butler said. "She is staying here for the remainder of the week"

He man observed me a little more, silently. After he had scanned my entire body, he took three steps towards me and held out his hand for me to shake it.

"Ezra" he smiled.

I reached for his hand, shaking it with hesitation. "It's nice to meet you"

"Are you a friend of my brother?"

"No" I said, under my breath. "Not exactly"

"You're a guest?"

"You could say that"

He smirked. "Perhaps I'll wait here for Alexander to return, then"

I nodded, in an attempt to be friendly.
Ezra walked around me, into the lounge where I had emerged from.

"Leave me and Miss Wood to talk" he called out to the employees, which meant we would be alone in there.
I followed him in, sitting down on the furthest side of the couch so I wasn't awkwardly close to him.

"You're very pretty" he smiled. "I can see why my brother invited you. He had always had a keen eye for gorgeous women"

"Thank you"

"Tell me, Victoria. Where do you work?"

I shuffled in my seat, quickly trying to think of something so that I wouldn't have to embarrass myself, or Alex.
But I couldn't.

"I work at a club, a while away from here" I mumbled. "I'm a dancer"

He tilted his head. "What kind of dancer?"

He knew what I meant, but wanted me to say the words out loud. I'd known him for nearly five minutes and he was already tormenting me.

"It's a strip club" I said, looking down towards the ground.