Suddenly the book in his hands disappeared in a flash of green light. Both boy's eyes lit up at the missing book. "I did it!" Loki yelled out exited.

Thor seems equally as excited for his brother's feat. He pulled his brother in a hug. "You did it! That's so cool!"

"I have to tell mother," Loki announced before starting to run away.

"Well, weren't we going to play?" Thor asked, he sounded kind of saddened.

Loki looked in between his brother and his open hands, debating. "I guess I can tell mother later." He said. Thor's face lit up again. "Let's go!" Loki called, this time it was him leading them away. Not masking his laughter.

As soon as they ran around the corner out of Danny's sight the world around him rippled, like a pond that had a pebble dropped into it. Everything became blurry and the moment the rippling stopped Danny found himself standing in a large courtyard. In front of him playing a game, Danny couldn't quite tell what it was, was Young Loki and Thor.

Both children, -or at least they looked like children- froze partway through their game to look at the strange boy who was now floating slightly above the ground and glowing. Danny slowly lowered to the ground seeing their surprised faces. Danny himself was surprised at the sudden... teleportation?

"Loki may I speak with you?" Danny asked calmly. Looking down at the black-haired boy with kind glowing green eyes. Loki looked back up at the boy's eyes, pausing like he recognized him for a second.

Thor pushed in front of Loki, protectively sticking his arm out ahead of his younger brother. "Who are you and what do you want with my brother?" He demanded. His childlike voice made it hard to sound threatening. Especially to a ghost who had been threatened more times than he could count.

"I'm Phantom." He answered. "I just wanted to talk to him about something," Danny explained.

"What are you? You were just flying a second ago." Thor said.

Danny looked at Loki who didn't stop staring up at him with curiosity. "Loki this isn't real. Can we talk?"

Loki looked down at the ground and then over to his brother. Thor glanced back at him with a worried expression. "I know." Loki sighed.

Suddenly everything around them disappeared in a green mist and Danny found himself in complete darkness. Like a pocket void of light. The only thing giving off light was himself. He eventually realized he was standing on a reflective surface, like polished black marble.

Danny took a couple of steps forward before Loki appeared in front of him in a flash of green light. This time an adult Loki, wearing the same Asgardian leather suit he was wearing in the battle in New York. Only this one looked brand new, and not like it had been worn through an alien invasion.

Danny floated up slightly, feeling a little short around the tall Asgardian. "What are you doing here?" Loki asked the ghost.

Danny raised an eyebrow. "I'm here to help you get free from this mind control, why else would I be here?"

Loki laughed dryly, turning slightly away from the ghost. "It has never worked before."

"You've never had me before." Danny crossed his arms with a smile.

Loki looked back at the boy puzzled. He was so unlike anyone he had ever met. He acted with trust and kindness. He protected anyone even if he had no idea of the past or problems they may have on their shoulders. "Why would you do this?" He paused. "Why would you help me? I don't understand."

Danny shrugged. "I made a promise to you, didn't I? And I have been through the same thing myself, maybe not the same circumstances but, you know..." He sighed. "...Look, I just don't want you to end up going through the same pain I did. At Least let me help you."

"Then what. We get out of here, I backstab you, and then you are left to the humans and their cruel one-sided vision of justice." Loki raised an eyebrow. "Why trust me? I have done nothing to show you that I am trustworthy." Loki asked. "No idea if I am good or evil, murderous or kind."

"Then, you wouldn't be the first to backstab me. I think I have only teamed up with 4 people who I have truly believed would never betray me." Danny chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck. "But no, I have no idea if I can trust you or not. But what I can do is give you a second chance... And also kinda hope that you won't leave me to die in a lab." He shrugged his shoulders.

"I mean I am sticking my neck out for you even though I barely know you." Danny continued. "Which I will admit was kinda rash on my part. But still. I've made my play, and now I'm waiting for your move. And there is no going back. I'll either lose, win, or keep playing. And I have no say in the matter."

"Now I just wait for your play." Danny held his hand out. Loki looked the ghost up and down before opening his mouth slightly to speak.

---

Notes

This chapter was a long time coming, and it needed to be perfect. I know it is kind of short compared to my other 2,000-4,000 word chapters but I feel like this needed to be its own thing. Not just the start of a chapter and then leading off to the next part without letting this conversation sink in. How important this turning point is for the people involved. Danny is meeting Loki authentically for the first time and having a much-needed conversation about trust. And Loki realizing how much this boy is putting out there for him. Maybe it would make him think twice about trying to go back into any old habits. Maybe he will give this kid a chance.

Thank you all so much for all of your support and comments. They all mean so much to me and I don't know what I would do without them. Once again sorry for the not super long chapter I hope you all understand. I have so many plans for this story and so many ideas and concepts. Thank you all for being patient with me as I do this.

Please tell me what you thought of this chapter. I love to hear your opinions. :D