She would have to put up with this every single day once they were married.

She sighed and stared at Luka once more.

One of these days she was going to have to say it back. They were engaged for the love of Merlin. She shouldn't put off saying something so trivial like 'I love you too.'

Avoiding more social-climbing house wives headed towards her direction, Marinette walked outside the huge balcony to get a breath of fresh air. Once she was safetly outdoors, she leaned against the railing and gazed at the stars. The air was cold but it felt good against her skin.

"Alright there, Marinette?" said a voice.

"Yeah, just a little tired."

At least Alya was here now.

"You're late," she said in an accusing tone. She grinned sheepishly.

"Why are you out here? You should be inside, socializing." She leaned against the railing beside her.

She snorted rather loudly. "They think I'm an attention seeking whore."

Alya chuckled. "This happened once before, in our college. Do what you always do, ignore them. They're not worth it."

A small smile played in her lips. She was right. She can't let these rich snobs get to her.

They didn't say anything for a long time, but it was fine. Her silence was a comforting one, a reassurance. No words. Just her presence. Just enough to let her know she was there. And right now she really needed her.

"I still hear his voice sometimes."

It came out as a small crack. She was going for something short and casual, but it shocked her nonetheless. It was the first time in five years, she had ever mentioned him. Alya didn't answer but merely continued gazing at the vast fields outside the mansion. She knew she was reminiscing.

"When we were in the tower that night, I saw his eyes," she whispered finally. "I remember telling myself it was over... that I was finally going to be with my parents. His wand was already aimed at me. Then I heard you say his name."

She felt uneasy with the conversation. She bit her lip and looked at anywhere but Alya. She was feeling far too embarrassed.

"He looked confused and troubled. And he kept clutching at his chest," he continued. "I wonder what had happened then? I think he'd changed, bet you anything he had. Shame he had to die the same time."

Was he really dead? she wanted to ask but stopped herself.

"You've done everything you could. No one blames you, Marinette," he assured her.

Alya's gaze fell on her and she touched her cheek with the back of his hand. She stood straight, bowed a rather dramatic bow, took her hand in hers, and ever so gently, she twirled her around.

And suddenly they were dancing.

The whole world seemed to melt away and it was just the two of them. They moved to the music barely audible from where they were, and it was just perfect. Nothing else mattered., the time when they only had each other to hold onto.

Strange how she feels that way right now.

"It's okay to cry, you know," she whispered in her ear.

She stiffened immediately, felt herself lean in her shoulders and clutch her arms tight. That's where she was wrong, Alya was. It wasn't okay to cry for him. Not at all.

BOOM!

Suddenly everything was in utter chaos. The sudden impact of the explosion caused them to crash to the railings. Alya was quicker than her. She was already on her feet, wand at the ready. She felt a searing pain in her back but she was too stunned to care.

Flames.

Huge, red, dancing flames blazed to the dark sky. They heard roaring, billowing noises. Fiendfyre. She stared in horror as the flames took the shape of fire-breathing monsters and beasts; snakes, chimeras, and dragons, continuously mutating, engulfing the mansion in only a moment's warning.

"No wait! Marinette!"

She ran to the doors without much thought, shielded herself with every ounce of magic she had. The immense heat immediately burned her skin a little. There were bodies everywhere. People were slowly being devoured by beast-like flames, their tortured screams hurting her ears. They held their burning hands out to her, reached for her, shouted for her to help. She tried to save them but she couldn't.

There is no countercurse for this.

"Luka!" she yelled desperately. "Luka! Answer me!"

She coughed violently as the poisonous fumes entered her lungs. "Mar-ri-ne-tte-tte.." It was a deep, strangled voice.

There he was, his body crushed by a huge chandelier.

"Oh Merlin, Luka." She rushed towards him. She cringed at the sight before her. There were burns everywhere. Blood was rushing out of his mouth. His left leg had been sliced off entirely.

She blasted the chandelier off him, tried to heal him with everything she had. "Y-you're going t-to be alright." She was trying, she really was. She could see her hand trembling as she clutched her wand. "H-hold on." He groaned when her magic stung to heal his burns. The tears were all over her face now, but she ignored them. Her whole hand was shaking as it clutched her wand. Her healing charm wasn't working and his wounds just opened up again. "J-just—" She had to save him. She had to.

She barely noticed him hold her hand weakly, a small gesture telling her that he wanted her to stop. "N-no just-just let me." She sobbed desperately.

"It's okay," he said calmly, brushing her face with his free hand.

For a brief instance, she closed her eyes. As if to remember this moment, to feel him entirely, to feel his touch against her skin.

And that was the last time she saw him smile.

"Marinette!"

Her coughs got more violent, more painful. She felt her shield deteriorating, her magic slipping away. She couldn't breathe properly anymore. She refused to let go of Luka's lifeless form. This can't be happening, he can't be dead.

"Marinette!"

Someone was standing lazily amongst the dust and debris. He was leaning casually against a stone column, strangely unaffected by the fire, strangely unmoved by the chaos. He was staring at her in faint amusement. His hands were tucked in the pockets of his dark robes. Familiar. She couldn't make out his features but she knew immediately.

Only one person would be so calm in times like these. Only one.

She tried to raise her wand but her body finally gave in, collapsing to the floor from the lack of air. Someone was shaking her roughly, Alya. "Stay awake Marinette." She felt him lift her up. "I'm here. Stay awake!"

"Luka's dead, Alya. He killed him," she kept repeating. "He killed him."

And the darkness devoured her whole...