Chapter 34: Who the hell is Bucky?

"He was seen just a few miles from City Hall in Philadelphia," They heard Tony say, "and we need to get there immediately."

"You don't understand Tony. Something is off about him, but I know I can get through if I can just get close enough," Steve responded, "You just have to let me get close enough. Hold back until I can."

Y/N had made their way to Tony's office but found themselves waiting just outside the door listening to the conversation that he and Steve were having. 

"That's not smart and you know that!" Tony exclaimed, pushing Y/N to step through the door before the conversation turned hostile. Unfortunately, Tony and Steve tended to easily get into heated discussions due to their wildly different approaches to situations in the field.

"Alright, I have no idea what or who you're talking about, but I'm gonna just step in to get you both to calm down before we have a civil war break out," Y/N stated as they took a seat across from Tony's desk.

They were both clenching their jaws as they tried to hold back the arguments that they wanted to have, "God, you're both so hard-headed. Can someone just tell me what's going on?" Y/N said as they sat back in their seat and crossed one leg over the other.

After another death glare at each other, the two took their seats. Tony found his behind his desk and Steve took the one next to Y/N.

"The Winter Soldier," Steve started as he blew out a long breath, "I know him. I know the person behind the mask, I mean."

Y/N raised one eyebrow as they looked between Tony and Steve, waiting for him to continue on with his statement.

"When I knocked his mask off, I saw my friend Bucky," He said.

"Wait, wait, wait," They said flailing their arms about to get him to pause, "Bucky? As in the man you told me stories about? The one who FELL from a MOUNTAIN?!"

Steve nodded, clearly still surprised by the realization that he was alive as well, "Yep, that's the one. I don't know how, but I assume it's in some sort of fashion of how I'm still here as well. I just don't know how... how he would've survived that fall."

He sat back in his seat replaying the memory of watching Bucky fall thousands of feet from the train to the ground. Tony clearly didn't believe him considering he was still pushing Steve to allow him and Rhodey to just drop in on him.

"So, what's the plan? What are you trying to decide?" They asked remembering the argument that the two were having before they entered the room.

They both looked at each other, Tony looked away rolling his eyes per usual as Steve started, "When he looked at me... I knew he was in there. It was just a difference, a split second, when I said his real name that I saw it. If I could just get close enough, I know that I could get through to him."

Is he fucking insane? They thought. That man nearly killed Yelena and was able to take on most of us.

"Uh... Tony? What are your thoughts?" Y/N asked, shifting their body to face him in hopes that it would be something a bit more sensible.

He sat back in his seat, propping his feet up on his desk, "Bring him in, immediately. No waiting, no beating around the bush. He needs to be captured and brought in. THEN you can speak with him, Cap."

"Oh my God, I already told you that won't WORK! He is clearly under something. Just let me get close enough to him, alone. If you all capture him, how do we know he'll speak? If I can get to him, by myself, I know I can get him out of it," Steve responded.

Y/N and Tony shared looks, knowing that Steve's plan wasn't logical. Though he was often highly intelligent when it came to planning missions, he wasn't always able to think straight when it came to something that would mix with his personal life. The whole team had realized that when he nearly brought down an entire building once when Y/N had been captured by HYDRA for just a single day.

Y/N cleared their throat before leaning over closer to their uncle, "I know you care about him. I've heard the stories, seen the pictures... but you have to know this isn't smart. You care about us and our safety, the same way we care about yours. Let us get him back here and then you can have that time to try and get through to him."

A silence fell between the three as Steve stared out to zone in on his thoughts. It wasn't smart, he knew that, but it genuinely felt like the only plan that would work to him.

He shook his head before finally giving in, "Fine, but when he gets back here you all need to let him be. No one interrogates him. No one pushes him. Let ME talk to him. Pushing him until he breaks isn't going to do anything but put everyone in danger if he's here."

Tony and Y/N shared looks once again before he quickly stood, "Alright. Y/N get Vision, Rhodey, and Wanda set up. We're out in ten."

"Wait, we? Am I going?" Y/N asked Tony.

"Yes, of course. We need all the hands we can get. Natasha needs to be here with Yelena and Bruce has to stay back in case anyone else needs sent for medical attention," He responded as him and Steve walked out of his office to head for their gear.

Y/N had no idea that they'd be heading out with them, "Can I at least stop by to see Yelena before we head off?"

"No, I need you to get those coming, get ready, and get going. We don't have the time. We wasted enough time sitting here trying to get Captain Ass to agree with us," Tony said as Steve shot a squinted eye look at him.

Before Y/N could respond, they had taken off to get ready and get on the Quinjet to head out. They knew that there really was no time to stop by, so a text would have to suffice in the meantime.

After getting the team rallied, getting their belongings, and jumping on the Quinjet, Y/N shot a text to Yelena once they got settled in their seat.

(Just now) Y/N:

"Got called out to a mission about
The Winter Soldier. I didn't have
time to stop by, but I promise I
will come see you as soon as we
get back. I hope you're feeling
better."

The idea of leaving Yelena, though she was doing better this morning, worried the hell out of them. It hadn't even been 24 hours since they'd nearly lost her. She must have finally been awake though as she'd texted back rather fast.

(Just now) Yelena:

"Please be safe and don't do
anything stupid. I can't wait to
hear about how it goes though."

(Just now) Y/N:

"You're one to talk! lol. I'll let
you know when we're on our
way back."

She'll be fine, they thought, stop worrying so damn much.