Chapter 30: Please

Y/N shook their hands to try and rid themselves of the anxiety that was pulsing through their entire body. Now or never, they thought. They walked through the door and peered around the room to see where Yelena's bed would be placed. As they peeked around the side of the door, their eyes landed directly on a still body laid next to multiple machines.

Their breath hitched when they laid eyes on her, trying to get the image of their father in his own death bed out of their head. Y/N closed the door behind them slowly, trying to make the least amount of noise possible.

A chair was already placed next to her bed facing her head. Nat must not have moved it from when she left to find Y/N when they arrived. They pulled the seat out a bit to sit next to Yelena and look over her face.

Her head was slightly tilted as it had fallen down from where she was laying. A nasal cannula was sat under her nose helping with the oxygen while there were also needles pushing fluids into both of her arms.

As they looked into her face, they noticed how pale she had grown from the loss of blood. The once lively and happy face was replaced with one that seemed nearly lifeless. The sight of her like this pushed Y/N over the edge as they grabbed her hand and laid their head down on the bed next to her body.

They whimpered as they prayed, "Whatever it is, whoever you are, I am begging you to just wake her up. Please. I need her, please..."

Y/N trailed off for a second before raising their head to look over her face again. The woman who sat in front of them was by far the most amazing and incredible person they'd ever met. She was different for them. They cared about her in a way that they'd never cared for anyone before.

Their mind was racing with the conversation that they had with Wanda on the jet. "Do you love her?" She had asked. "You never looked at me like that."

She was right. Y/N had never looked at Wanda the way they looked at Yelena. What they felt for her was different, it was so much more. It was more than anything they'd ever felt. Looking at her now, seeing her near the end of her line, it all came flowing in.

I do, they thought.

"I would go to the ends of the universe for her. Please... I love her," They finished their prayer before shaking their head and returning their forehead to the side of the bed next to her leg.

With her hand in theirs as they cried into her leg, they felt a small movement. Noticing this, they sat up immediately, looking down at where they had felt it come from.

As they glanced up at her face where her eyes were still closed and her head was still tilted, they thought they'd imagined it.

"God, I'm an idiot," They said aloud as they berated themselves for thinking that she might wake after hearing them talking.

Keeping a hold on her hand, they moved their attention to the television to try and distract themselves. Not long after, they felt another movement under their fingers.

Their eyes quickly darted back to her, looking over every inch to see if there was a sign that she was waking up. They squeezed her hand trying to get her to move again, "Come on, I know you're there. Wake up. Come back to me, please," They said as they brought her hand to their face, planted a kiss on the back, and held it softly on their cheek.

The seconds of waiting felt like an eternity. Y/N was convinced that it had happened and that they weren't going insane. She had to have heard them.

Before they began to lay her hand back down and give up on hoping she'd wake, a crackling came from Yelena's throat. When they heard this, they scooted their chair closer as quickly as they could. 

Laying a hand on her face, they rubbed their thumb across her cheek, "Please, come on. I know you're here. Come back to me," They begged.

Y/N stared deeply into her face, praying internally that she would wake up. Just before they were about to let go and look away again, her eyes twitched. They nodded vigorously, "Yes, yes come on. Wake up, I'm here, come on."

They shifted from their seat to the side of the bed now, one hand on her face with their thumb running over her cheek while the other rested on her shoulder. Her eyes twitched again before they slowly started opening. The corners of Y/N's mouth began pulling up quickly at the sight of Yelena finally waking up.

"Y/N?" She asked with her eyes half open trying to adjust to the bright hospital lights in the room.

"Yes," They answered through their tears, "Yes, it's me. I'm here. God, thank god you're awake."

It took a minute for Yelena's eyes to fully open and adjust to the light and her surroundings. She glanced around the room trying to take in what was happening, "Where am I? What happened?"

Y/N laughed as they shook their head. They moved up to grab her head with both hands and press their lips firmly on her forehead.

"You decided to be an idiot today," They answered, "and almost get yourself killed."

Her eyebrows furrowed at the response, still not remembering fully what had happened.

"You stepped out in front of The Winter Soldier, unshielded, to try and take a shot at him right after he'd picked up Nat's gun," They finished.

With that, she started to remember what had happened not too long ago. Of course, she was still rather out of it because of the mass amount of blood that she had lost as well. As the minutes passed though, she was beginning to slowly become more alert.

Y/N stayed sitting next to her on the bed as she tried to wake herself up.

"How am I?" She asked, "Am I going to be okay?"

They grabbed her hand as they shifted their body to face her a bit more, "I think so. Bruce told me a bit about what you went through on the way here. It seems like you're going to be okay since you've woken up now. You just need to take it easy for a while. No more dumb shit."

Yelena smirked slightly as she moved her squinted eyes to meet Y/N's before looking down to see her hand in theirs. She grazed her thumb over their hand slowly. It was clear to her that Y/N had been a wreck since she left. The tear-stained cheeks, bloodshot eyes, and shaking fingers told everything that they didn't even need to say.

 When she made her eyes back up to meet theirs, Y/N wondered if she had heard what they said before she woke up, "Hey, um. I was talking, well praying I guess, just before you woke up. Did you hear any of that?"

She looked around confused, knowing that she barely remembered the last few hours and definitely did not hear them before she'd started to become alert. 

"No, I didn't. Why?" She asked.

Oh thank FUCK, they thought, "No reason. I was just curious if you were conscious enough to hear me by then."